    editing.

    Will the SATA drives be a waste compared to the SCSI?

    , Jun 25, 2005

  2. Bob Willard Guest

    wrote:
    > Major PC overhaul.... Dual CPU and SATA (replace SCSI)
    >
    > I currently have an AMD Atholon CPU and SCSI 160 with 10 and 15k
    > drives.
    >
    > Would a newer Dual CPU AMD chipset with SATA harddrives be an upgrade?
    >
    > I use a few apps at one time, 2 monitors and do video and photo
    > editing.
    >
    > Will the SATA drives be a waste compared to the SCSI?

    I don't know how many SCSI HDs you have, but note that awhile a SCSI
    bus can connect several HDs, SATA is a point-to-point interconnect:
    one HD per SATA. So, make sure your new MB has enough SATAs for
    the number of HDs you want.

    Also, the fastest SATA HD is 10K RPM -- which means (maybe) slower
    seek times than your 15K RPM SCSI HDs. Read the specs.

    Alternatively, you may want to soup up your current PC by adding RAM.
    video and photo editing are both very RAM-intensive.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Bob Willard, Jun 25, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > Major PC overhaul.... Dual CPU and SATA (replace SCSI)
    >
    > I currently have an AMD Atholon CPU and SCSI 160 with 10 and 15k
    > drives.
    >
    > Would a newer Dual CPU AMD chipset with SATA harddrives be an upgrade?

    It shurely would. Modern boards provide a much faster path to memory,
    and, a second cpu usually boosts performance when running more than one
    application. Keep in mind, that when running only one app, it depends on
    the software to utilize the second cpu. Some do - some don´t.

    > I use a few apps at one time, 2 monitors and do video and photo
    > editing.
    >
    > Will the SATA drives be a waste compared to the SCSI?

    Hard to say - check it out. You should still be able to run your old
    drives with the new board. Normally, after a while, the SATA disks
    should be faster than older scsi disks, not because of the rpms, but
    because of the higher density. It´s the (M)Byte per revolution that
    counts! You could still use an array controller to get a higher
    throughput.

    Regards

    Frank

    Frank Themann, Aug 12, 2005