Major problem initializing inking components -- Please help...

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Marcus E. Harris, Mar 30, 2008.

  1. Hello,

    Every time I try starting Windows Journal on my tablet PC I get the
    following error dialog:

    "Windows Journal cannot start.

    There was an error initializing inking components. If this problem persists
    after restarting, contact your system administrator."

    My machine is a Gateway M280 tablet PC running MS Windows XP Tablet PC
    Edition 2005 (Version 2002, Service Pack 2), and the device has 1GB of RAM.

    MS Windows XP came pre-installed on the machine, so I don't have the
    original O/S CDs (made it really hard to run 'sfc /scannow' with any success
    to try and re-install the DLLs without completely re-installing the O/S).

    What can/should I do to address this problem? Any/all help is greatly
    appreciated!

    Kind Regards,

    Marcus E. Harris

    Marcus E. Harris, Mar 30, 2008

  2. Don't think this will work, but suggest trying
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824385>

    essentially, drop to command line, change to the journal exe directory
    and issue the command;

    journal.exe /repairnotewriter

    If not, it means the tablet functionality has been lost... did you run
    an oprobably s upgrade or repair?

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Mar 31, 2008

  3. sorry... should have read;

    If not, it probably means the tablet functionality has been lost... did
    you run an os upgrade or repair?

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Mar 31, 2008
  4. Marcus E. Harris

    warrensgoff Guest

    That particular fix won't work and will generate the same error. I have hada very similar problem but it happened after I would close an instance of Window's Journal (Windows 7 64 bit, Fujitsus tablet) and then try to retartanother. I would have to reboot to get it to work again but with the same limitation. I have been able to fix the problem by stopping and then restarting the following services: TabletInputService and TabletServiceISD. Here's a code snippet that I have written in VB6 which does this as the problem has been recurrent. You can also do this in a command window. I hope it helps...Warren

    Private Sub Form_Load()
    Shell ("net stop TabletInputService")
    Shell ("net stop TabletServiceISD")

    Shell ("net start TabletInputService")