Make Hidden Partition visible / image it.

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Daniel, May 30, 2006.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Hi,

    I got an new laptop I need to install it for a friend but there is a
    Dutch version of Windows installed on it already, so I want to format
    it and reinstall Windows xp pro eng on it.

    How can I acces the hidden partition on it, I quess the manifactur has
    saved recovery stuff/drivers etc. How can I acces these so I can copy
    it and use the drivers when I reinstall.

    I tried to make an image of the partition but I got this error:

    """Partition 1 type 12 has an invalid boot record.
    It can be copied on a sector basis or the operation can be aborted."""

    Can anyone explain what this exactly means and can I just make the
    image or should I stop?

    Thanks in advance

    D.

    Daniel, May 30, 2006

  2. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    just to add:

    This is on windows xp the harddisk is 80GB and the hidden partition is
    like 5GB
    I tried this with Ghost2002.

    Daniel, May 30, 2006

  3. Daniel

    beenthere Guest

    Hi D. That hidden partition probably contains a `back to factory`
    installation.
    Stick your XP CD in and do a new install.
    You`ll easily be able to get any drivers you need, from the Web.

    beenthere, May 30, 2006
  4. Actually get the drivers before you install.

    If the laptop i sDell or HP, etc, the files cab be found by model
    name/number.

    David Sherman, May 30, 2006
  5. Daniel

    Newb Guest

    Thanks for the advice,

    I used the program ptedit to make it visble and it worked , too bad
    there was only a vga driver on the driver section.

    can't find some drivers on the site aswell =/

    Newb, Jun 1, 2006