making and burning disk images with disk utility

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Larry Moss, Oct 5, 2010.

  1. Larry Moss

    Larry Moss Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm having difficulty duplicating dual Mac/Win data CDs and I'm hoping
    someone here can point me in the right direction. I have googled for this
    and found MANY descriptions of doing exactly what I'm doing, and yet it's
    not working for me. I have a CD-ROM that was originally created with Toast.
    It's been years since that was done and I can't find the original Toast
    files. I have all the pieces, but rather than reconstruct it, I wanted to
    just make an image of the disk to store on a hard drive so I can burn new
    copies whenever I want without having to use Toast again to duplicate it
    from another CD. I can't figure out a way to do that with Toast. When I
    make a new image from Disk Utility, the disk ends up not being complete
    under Windows.

    Here's what I've tried (procedures that are outlined on several sites):

    1. In Disk Utility, I select the volume on the CD and click New Image. It
    creates a dmg file. I then pop out that disk and put in a blank and click
    burn. It creates something that works on the Mac, but under Windows, it
    sees the disk (it's burnt and has a file system) but nothing is actually on
    it.

    2. I've also tried using dd at the command line to create an image. The same
    thing happens when I burn it. Fine on a Mac, not on a PC.

    The original disk does work correctly. If I use Toast to duplicate it, I
    also get a working disk. I'd really like to make a valid disk image that I
    can use for burning so I have easy access to it on my hard drive whenever I
    need it. I have several of these disks that I may need to burn from time
    to time.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Larry Moss, Oct 5, 2010

  2. Larry Moss

    Sara Guest

    You can ask Toast to duplicate it, but instead of hitting the 'burn'
    button, go to the file menu and choose 'save as disk image'.

    You'll get a file with a .toast extention that can be mounted or copied
    and burned to media.

    Sara, Oct 6, 2010

  3. Larry Moss

    Larry Moss Guest

    Thank you! I completely missed that. I'll try it when I get in to the
    office tomorrow morning. (I do see that in Toast now, but the disk I need
    is sitting on my desk.)

    Larry Moss, Oct 6, 2010
  4. Larry Moss

    Larry Moss Guest

    Thanks. Worked perfectly. Since I have something that works, I'm happy.
    But I still have an academic interest in why this didn't work with Disk
    Utility or dd. Can anyone offer an explanation? It seems to me that if I
    use dd to read the entire device, I should be able to create an image file
    that can be used for burning more disks. What am I missing?

    Sara, thanks again. Your advice was all I needed in this case.

    Larry Moss, Oct 7, 2010
  5. Larry Moss

    Sara Guest

    Glad I could help - I get so much good advice on usenet, it feels good
    to be on the other side for once.

    Sara, Oct 8, 2010