making emergency boot diskette??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by MB, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. MB

    MB Guest

    I would like to have a diskette that I can use to boot my Dell Dim. 2400 in
    an emergency.

    PC WORLD had an article that said how to do it:
    To make one, insert a blank floppy disk into drive A:, select Start, All
    Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt, type format a:, and press Enter. When
    asked if you want to format another disk, type n and press Enter. Type the
    following commands, pressing Enter after each one.

    xcopy c:\boot.ini a: /h
    xcopy c:\ntdetect.com a: /h
    xcopy c:\ntldr a: /h

    Well, I did this but it doesn't work. When I try and boot from it, it says
    non-system diskette.

    Any ideas?

    Mel

    MB, Sep 27, 2004

  2. MB

    Jeff Bean Guest

    To get a DOS startup disk, in Windows Explorer right click on the A:
    drive, choose Format and check the box for "Create an MS-DOS startup
    disk". This is useful for installing BIOS updates and other stuff where
    you don't want Windows running.

    You also can boot from your Windows XP installation CD. You may have to
    enter the BIOS setup mode and change the boot priority so that it tries
    to boot from the CD before it boots from the hard disk. Booting this
    way is useful for doing a repair installation of Windows XP, or for
    reinstalling Windows from scratch.

    The instructions you gave above seem to be missing a step. You need to
    get a master boot record (MBR) onto the floppy. I'm not sure how you
    would go about doing that. Nor do I think the result will be terribly
    useful since you will be missing the driver that allows you to access
    the hard disk.

    Jeff Bean

    Jeff Bean, Sep 27, 2004

  3. MB

    Mistoffolees Guest

    The floppy diskette must first be formatted (or
    re-formatted) by the computer in which the specific
    Windows NT, 2000 or XP OS resides. Or, IOW, using
    a diskette that had been pre-formatted or formatted
    for MS-DOS or Windows 9X will not work in this case.

    Mistoffolees, Sep 27, 2004
  4. MB

    Bill Mills Guest

    www.bootdisk.com