making geforce 7950 gx2 work with philips lcd tv

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by sonic, Apr 29, 2007.

  1. sonic

    sonic Guest

    Hi,
    I am using a philips 32" lcd tv (32PF7320A/37), and would like to be
    able to connect it to my pc.

    i am using a dell xps wit a nvidia geforce 7950 gx2 card.

    unfortunately for me, philips does not offer any drivers or pc
    support. according to them pc should auto detect the resolution.

    my card actually detects it as "philips FTV" but does not offer its
    native resolution (1366x768).
    when i choose any of the other resolutions, the picture looks very
    crapy due to stretched pixels.

    i am connected to the tv using dvi => HDMI cable.

    is there a way i could force my card to output that resolution?

    another annoying thing, is that the card will stretch picture when it
    thinks there is nothing but black empty space. so if im watching a
    letterbox movie, after 10 seconds of watching, it will just stretch
    the picture horizontally to fill the whole screen, skewing the whole
    movie. i am not sure how to turn this auto resizing feature off. ( i
    turned off scaling in nvidia control panel )

    thanks

    sonic, Apr 29, 2007

  2. sonic

    First of One Guest

    First of One, Apr 30, 2007

  3. sonic

    Paul Guest

    Powerstrip has a FAQ page:

    http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

    "Custom resolution primer"
    http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24

    "In particular, note that graphics cards generally do horizontal timings
    in character clocks of 8 pixels, not individual pixels. Unless you have
    a ATI X1k, NVidia digital connection, Matrox Parhelia or early Kyro,
    your desired horizontal resolution should be evenly divisible by 8, and
    your vertical resolution should be an even number. If you have a plasma
    or LCD display that wants 1366 or 852 pixels, you will need to settle
    for slightly more or less."

    "Horizontal timing and pixel-perfect resolutions" - basically restates it again
    http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20

    "Optimizing plasma displays"
    http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3354

    "WXGA: if 1366x768 isn't available, shoot for 1360x768 or 1368x768"

    Some info on EDID, which is the info the computer reads from the
    monitor, to automatically get resolution info. AFAIK, the HDMI
    cable still has the serial bus on it, which can be used to read
    the EDID from the monitor. A good read...

    "CASE STUDY OF PROBLEMS CAUSED EDIDs"
    http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/

    That article mentions this utility, as being able to read the
    EDID data. It interprets the data, and also gives the raw data,
    if you want to parse it yourself.

    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/moninfo.exe

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 30, 2007
  4. sonic

    sonic Guest

    interesting.

    my video card has this s-video like output, that can convert to
    component output..
    do you think going that way instead of HDMI would solve my problem ?

    sonic, Apr 30, 2007
  5. sonic

    sonic Guest

    thanks !

    sonic, Apr 30, 2007
  6. sonic

    First of One Guest

    I think using component output will give you 1366x768, but the general
    picture quality will be sufficiently bad that you won't want to use it for
    normal web browsing and email.

    First of One, May 1, 2007