    DVD player if I burn to DVD with iDVD 3).

    I don't know AppleScript, but I can learn it if I have to. I have
    the Dev tools (Xcode 1.1) installed.

    David Steuber, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Best? Here's one way:
    Render as tiff to a folder, using sequential names,
    e.g. file0001.tif, file0002.tif, ...., file1000.tif.
    Import image sequence to QT Pro, export as movie, codec
    of choice (DivX).

    George Williams, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Sounds like a good way to do it. Thanks. I'm still calculating the
    data. I need something much faster than a dual athlon 1800+ MP.

    Should I go with 30fps or 29.97fps option?

    David Steuber, Jan 23, 2004
  4. NTSC? 29.97fps. But it hardly matters, unless somebody's
    gonna view it on a television. 24 fps would be good enough
    for computer viewing.
    Use a dual G5. A nice frame might take 1-2 minutes to render.
    That's 2 or 3 days. And that is the short version of why
    people set up "render farms".

    George Williams, Jan 24, 2004
  5. I wish I could budget a dual G5 or 10.

    I did some test runs with the frame data that was complete. I had no
    idea there were so many codecs. MPEG-4 and Pixlet seem nicest so
    far. I wish that an mp4 file wasn't forced to 320x240. A lot of
    very nice detail vanishes at that resolution.

    I would like to perhaps display on an NTSC television set. From
    perusing iMovie, it looks like I can moke my animation for DVD. I've
    found that I can get good results by importing the frames at 15fps
    instead of the 30/29.97fps rate that I originally planned. I like
    the results better. The problem is, the selected 29.97fps rate gets
    bumped to 30fps. There is no fractional rate option to say that I
    want to double up the frames for NTSC. At least not that I could see.

    My Linux box is now chewing on the last 50 frames. Those are also
    the frames that will take the longest to calculate. Oh well. It
    still might be done tonight.

    Other things to play with are key frames and data bit rates. The fun
    never stops, but at least this part I see quick results for.

    I hate to mention the 'W' word, but what software besides Quicktime
    will play a Quicktime generated mp4 file on Windows? Also does the
    Windows version of Quicktime do an MPEG-4 MOV file in playback ok?

    David Steuber, Jan 24, 2004
  6. WMP will play a Mac mpeg-4 if you save it with strictly
    defaults. I don't know about QT Pro for Windows.

    George Williams, Jan 25, 2004