    Xignals Guest

    Not much going on in here, are these boards so good they don't need
    support or does no one use them?

    Xignals, Mar 14, 2005

  2. Xignals

    Vincent Vega Guest

    I've had a P4DCE+ board for nearly three years now and it's been flawless -
    a pleasure and a joy to own and to use. Whenever I next upgrade, my next
    motherboard will also be a Supermicro. Big thumbs up from me...

    Vincent Vega, Mar 14, 2005

  3. Xignals

    daytripper Guest

    Um....."Yes"?

    daytripper, Mar 14, 2005
  4. to both? I guess so.

    A little pricey for the average Joe (with a few rare exceptions) but
    generally a good value for ppl looking for "server" or "workstation"
    grade stuff. Also generally exceptionally high quality (also with a
    few rare exceptions).

    The "target audience" for "server" platforms, Supermicro buyers tend
    therefore to be more savvy and can troubleshoot for themselves or
    avoid problems altogether that come from using low end gear (including
    problem peripherals etc. which are sometimes incorrectly blamed on the
    mobo or OS or directed to a mobo group).

    Just MHO

    Curious George, Mar 15, 2005
  5. Xignals

    daytripper Guest

    That's mho as well...

    daytripper, Mar 15, 2005
  6. Xignals

    DER Guest

    You betcha on that! I just built a P8SAA - SC742T-550 system for myself and
    I couldn't be happier. It's been humming 24/7 for more than six months with
    out an issue. Also these new Mid-Tower Chassis that SM is producing are
    incredible.

    DER

    DER, Mar 15, 2005
  7. Xignals

    DER Guest

    There is no way to know for sure...but I'd guess it's the former, they're
    that good. Also just posted was the comment that people here seem to know
    what they're doing, is also true. I did have a minor issue with the
    assigenment of the LED lights for HDD activity on their Chassis backplane,
    but if I really wanted to solve the issue I could. I've just not put the
    time in, that's all. No big deal.

    DER

    DER, Mar 15, 2005
  8. Xignals

    Xignals Guest

    Wow, that's more like it! Just ordered a X5DPL-igm board and
    SC742i-450 case to go with it. Thanks for the response!

    Xignals, Mar 15, 2005
  9. Xignals

    DER Guest

    Best wishes on you new system. I have a question. What application are you
    going to put this system to?

    DER

    DER, Mar 15, 2005
  10. Xignals

    Xignals Guest

    Going to be a web server and FTP site running 2000 server. Wish I
    could put 2003 on it but the web software has not been updated to run
    on 2003.

    Looking forward to putting this to good use!

    Xignals, Mar 15, 2005
  11. Xignals

    DER Guest

    Sounds good! I believe you picked a good Mobo/Chassis combo to use for that
    kind of application.

    DER

    DER, Mar 16, 2005
  12. Xignals

    ITMA Guest

    I bought a couple of Supermicro Boards on the strength of the company's then
    listing in the back of the excellent Scott Mueller's Upgrading & Repairing
    PCs book that said they manufacture "extremely high quality motherboards",
    or some such, and as I already thought he knew what he was talking about and
    went on to single Sony out for similar "high quality" praise I thought,
    right, that's it - Supermicro its got to be. Though they were only budget
    boards - a P5MMA98 and then a bit later a 370 something or other, they both
    only lasted two or three years - the first just died and had some ambiguity
    with the manual as to what clock speeds it could truly support, and the
    later board works ok but is now suffering extreme clock drift and a new
    battery isn't the answer. I was going to go for a new super duper
    Supermicro board again but then the it dawned on me that IT stuff
    depreciates so fast, why throw all that money away?? I bought a
    budget-budget-brand motherboard and processor - an Asrock or somesuch and I
    think an AMD processor and nearly 18 months on its still working fine. I
    think IT stuff has advanced, rather like cars and most other things in fact,
    to the point that the vast majority of it is built to a robust standard
    irrespective of what brand badge you might want to pay that little extra
    for.

    ITMA, Mar 28, 2005