Master and Slave Hard Disks

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Marcus, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Hello,

    Are there any performance issues when connecting 2 hard drives on one IDE
    connector ??

    I have nearly given up on the highpoint controller on my BE7, I also tried a
    Promise controller card but this caused stuttering problems with my mouse
    and sound. I have ordered a new backup drive Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9, I
    will try this drive on a highpoint connector first but if I get any problems
    then I will slave the the drive to my main Western Digital 8MB Cache drive
    on IDE 1.

    I just wondered will a slave drive affect performance on my main drive, I
    would expect that if I was copying from one drive to another drive the
    performance would not be as good as if I had both drives on seperate
    connectors ??

    Any one have any advise on this before I take delivery of the new drive.

    Thanks

    Marcus

    Marcus, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    why have you given up on the Highpoint? there's nothing wrong with the
    Highpoint 370/372 controller...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 117,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Hello Tom,

    I have given up on it because I've had 6 months of lock up's and Data
    corruption, I've reinstalled/repaired Windows XP 2-3 times a week. Since
    putting my hard drive on IDE 1 I've not had one lockup.

    My hard drive is a western digital drive, they have replaced it twice so I'm
    on my 3rd drive but I still get the problems, it's either a faultly
    highpoint controller on the motherboard or my hard drive is not compatible
    with it.

    To be honest I cannot notice my computer being any slower on IDE 1 than IDE
    3, my benchmarks are the same on both controllers so for an easy life I'm
    gonna keep my main boot ide on IDE 1. I intend to use IDE 3 for a new back
    up hard drive which I have just ordered, I have gone for a Maxdor 8MB cache
    drive so we'll see how that gets on.

    Marcus

    Marcus, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Marcus