Matching USB pinouts for KT7A header against weird case cable

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Dougie Nisbet, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. I have a case that has two USB ports on the front and an 8-core cable that
    has each plug individually separated so that it is possible to connect it
    up anyway I please on the USB motherboard header. I've had a good search
    of the newsgroup archives to see if I can match up the colors and names to
    the motherboard header, and I'm stumped. The labels on my cable use audio
    references. Here is what I have:

    LABEL COLOR
    ----- -----
    GND Black (quite thick)
    GND Black (thinner)
    LOUT blue (presumably 'Left Out')
    ROUT brown (presumably 'Right Out')
    LIN red (presumably 'Left In')
    RIN white (presumably 'Right In'.
    Unsure whether this is white or pale yellow)
    MIC IN orange
    MIC IN green

    The two 'MIC IN' labels aren't a typo. They both say the same, not
    differentiating between Left or Right.

    The Abit manual says the pins are as follows:

    1 Key Pin
    2 NC
    3 VCC0
    4 VCC1
    5 Data0 -
    6 Data1 -
    7 Data0 +
    8 Data1 +
    9 Ground
    10 Ground

    Can anyone suggest which connector goes where?

    Dougie

    Dougie Nisbet, Oct 5, 2003

  2. Dougie Nisbet

    Kim Archer Guest

    Sounds like Audio to me.

    Regards. Tim.
    Birmingham. UK.

    Kim Archer, Oct 5, 2003

  3. Dougie Nisbet

    Bill Drake Guest

    Hi, Dougie. You are going to have to manually confirm
    the wiring layout.

    There is no way to tell which way the manufacturer wired
    this thing up -- you will have to trace the wires back to find
    the proper relationship between the USB terminals and
    the labels on the header connectors.

    Things to check:

    1. If your case has audio connections *as well as* USB
    connections on the front, then the cable you mention
    is for the audio connections. There is another cable
    for the USB connections.

    2. If your case does not have audio connections on the
    front, then the manufacturer has mislabelled all the
    stuff on the back by using the wrong plastic header
    block parts.

    Gawd only knows what else they've done wrong.
    I'd want to check this out thoroughly before trusting
    blindly in bozos who make this kind of error.

    3. Disassemble the case front and inspect the connector
    block for the USB ports and/or Audio ports if supplied.
    Ensure the wiring at the USB connectors themselves
    is done properly.

    If so, all the manufacturer has done is used the wrong
    plastic header block parts. If not, then you are going
    to have to get a proper USB connector block assembly
    from the case supplier to replace the bogus one you've
    got now.

    To use your existing connector, even though it is labelled
    incorrectly, you need to trace back the wires and confirm
    their connections as follows:

    1. The layout of the VCC, Ground, Data1 and Data2 pins inside
    the USB connector itself is standard.

    2. Cut a standard USB cable and bare the 4 internal conductor
    wires. This becomes your test cable.

    3. Plug your USB test cable into the external connector and
    use an ohm meter to trace the 4 wires from the test cable
    down to the wires on the header connectors. Please note
    there is no enforcement of the standard for the colours. They
    *may* vary from what's used inside USB cable.

    4. Note the name of the header connector used for each wire
    from the USB test cable.

    5. Change to the other USB port. Note the name of each
    header connector for the second USB port as well.

    6. You should now be able to match things up with the
    published layout in your motherboard manual.

    Best I can do for now. <tm>

    Bill

    Bill Drake, Oct 5, 2003
  4. Dougie Nisbet

    Chris Guest

    Chris, Oct 5, 2003
  5. On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 19:19:05 +0000, Bill Drake wrote:

    [ ... ]
    Thanks for that detailed response Bill. I think it is the case that the
    plastic block parts are mislabelled. I can trace the cable to a small PCB
    at the front of the case, and I suspect if I look more closely I'll be
    able to see which cable goes to which pin. I might pursue that later but
    at the moment I'm turning the air blue trying to get a PNY GeForce FX 5200
    graphics card to work with this build. I think a sledge-hammer might fix
    the problem, permanently!

    Dougie

    Dougie Nisbet, Oct 6, 2003