Math for Maximum Hard Drive Size -- a7n266-vm/aa

Discussion in 'Asus' started by websiterepairguy, May 11, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I'm trying to use math to figure out the maximum
    hard drive size that my motherboard will support.

    Here's my story:

    I have an old Asus a7n266-vm/aa purchased
    in March of 2003. I'm wondering if this motherboard
    will support a 160 gigabyte drive. I'd like to upgrade
    from my 40 gig Western Digital.

    I'm using math to figure it out. I've gone into the
    setup menu and found the place where you can
    manually put in hard drive parameters.

    Here is what I've entered:

    cylinders: 65533 (maximum)
    head: 255 (maximum)
    sector: 63 (maximum)

    As you can see, I've entered the maximum
    allowable figures for the cylinders, heads, and
    sectors. If I try to go one number larger, these
    figures roll over like a car odometer to zero.

    Note that the word maximum (in parenthesis) has been
    added by me and does not actually appear
    beside the 3 numbers as given by the setup menu.

    Here's the figure that I get for the number of
    megabytes:

    539,043 megabytes

    Of course, this is 539 gigabytes. I'm reporting
    it as megabytes only because the setup menu
    reports it this way and I'm trying to provide as
    much detail as possible.

    Here's my question:

    Is this a reliable figure? More specifically, will
    my motherboard support 160 gigabytes?

    Here's the hard drive I'd like to buy from Newegg:

    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3160812A 160GB 7200 RPM
    8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

    Thanks in advance to anyone who might know what the
    limitations are on this motherboard.

    Ed

    websiterepairguy, May 11, 2006

  2. Found the answer to my own post on
    the Asus site. Here is a dierct quote:

    The A7N266 Series motherboards have 48-bit hard drive support, allowing
    for hard drives larger than 127GB.

    So, yes, the 17n266-vm/aa motherboard should support a 160 gigabyte
    drive.

    Hope this helps someone in the future.

    Ed

    websiterepairguy, May 11, 2006
  4. websiterepairguy

    old man Guest

    Now all you have to ensure is that your o/s cd supports big Lba

    old man, May 11, 2006
  5. websiterepairguy

    Paul Guest

    Since you like math, this document was a proposal for
    increasing the size of drives supported on IDE. This
    explains the mechanism used at the hardware level:

    "48-bit LBA proposal"
    http://www.t10.org/t13/technical/e00101r6.pdf

    A "howto" document from Seagate:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf

    A small FAQ (site spamvertises buying replacement BIOS, which
    you don't need, as you get your BIOS for free from Asus):

    http://www.48bitlba.com/faq.htm

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 11, 2006
  6. websiterepairguy

    tod Guest

    Support for hard drives larger then 137GB was starting to be added
    to motherboard bio's sometime in 2003.
    You might need to update to the latest bios version for your motherboard.

    tod, May 12, 2006