    list this model. Is anything known about this?

    I have what looks like the only Win2k driver for this card on the Matrox
    site. Version on first driver file in list is 6.12.01.1960.

    Tom Del Rosso, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Tom Del Rosso

    Larc Guest

    | After I installed a G550 (not LP) a few days ago, when I try to boot in safe
    | mode it freezes on the progress bar. The Matroz knowledge base doesn't even
    | list this model. Is anything known about this?
    |
    | I have what looks like the only Win2k driver for this card on the Matrox
    | site. Version on first driver file in list is 6.12.01.1960.

    If you're running Win2k or XP, the correct driver is 5.96.004 dated 8 May 2006.
    You'll find it on this page beside Matrox Millennium G550 and under the name of
    your OS:

    http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/latest/home.cfm

    Try to uninstall any drivers you've already installed before installing the
    correct one.

    Larc

    Larc, Aug 22, 2006

  3. Thanks but that's what I have now. The version number I wrote is from the
    driver file g400dhm.sys, but the exe I downloaded to install it is the same
    xp2k_596_004.exe.

    It's so recent that it must be the latest. I don't know much about Matrox
    chipsets, but is it possible that a driver for a different card might work?

    Tom Del Rosso, Aug 22, 2006
  4. Oh, and my BIOS is the latest from ASUS too (A8N-SLI v1014 December 2005).

    I'm at a loss for an answer. If it was only freezing in safe mode that
    wouldn't be so bad, but it also freezes when I run my old DOS CAD programs
    which are hard to replace.

    Tom Del Rosso, Aug 22, 2006
  5. Tom Del Rosso

    Larc Guest

    | | > If you're running Win2k or XP, the correct driver is 5.96.004 dated 8
    | > May 2006. You'll find it on this page beside Matrox Millennium G550
    | > and under the name of your OS:
    | >
    | > http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/latest/home.cfm
    | >
    | > Try to uninstall any drivers you've already installed before
    | > installing the correct one.
    |
    | Thanks but that's what I have now. The version number I wrote is from the
    | driver file g400dhm.sys, but the exe I downloaded to install it is the same
    | xp2k_596_004.exe.
    |
    | It's so recent that it must be the latest. I don't know much about Matrox
    | chipsets, but is it possible that a driver for a different card might work?

    That sounds strange. If it were working in Safe Mode and freezing going into
    Windows, I'd think you might have selected an unsupported setting. You might
    try going to the Matrox Forum for a possible solution. Matrox techs read that
    and can solve most problems that are thrown their way.

    http://forum.matrox.com/mga/

    I'm assuming you did delete all drivers from any previous video card before
    installing the Matrox drivers. Or in the event there were previous Matrox
    drivers, they would have needed to be uninstalled via Add or Remove Programs
    before installing the new ones.

    Larc

    Larc, Aug 22, 2006
  6. Yeah, I uninstalled them before shutting down to swap cards. I had MSI
    before, and replaced it because the monitor would go into standby when
    switching tasks to a DOS program in standard VGA mode. With the G550 it
    freezes in that situation, but only for some DOS apps and safe mode.

    Tom Del Rosso, Aug 22, 2006