Matrox Marvel G450 TV I/O vs NVIDIA or ATI

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Don Lindbergh, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. I have a Matrox Millenium G400 MAX and am very happy with the quality of the
    TV and PC 2D output. I'm currently using a ViewSonic G790 19" monitor and
    run 1152x864 True Color (32 bit).

    I have a need for video in and so am looking at the Matrox Marvel G450.

    I'm not a big gamer, but would be interested in the extra performance an
    NVIDIA based or ATI Radeon card with video in/out would offer over the
    Marvel G450 for around the same price ($200 street). I don't really need a
    TV tuner.

    I'm interested in comments from people who've actually used/compared any
    such TV I/O capable NVIDIA based or ATI Radeon cards to either the Matrox
    Marvel G450 or the Millenium G400 Max, specifically regarding the quality of
    the video output and the comparative functionality of things like the Matrox
    dualhead modes and DVD Max modes. I very much like being able to drive a TV
    monitor simultaneously with a PC monitor from my Matrox G400 Max and have
    any video image sent fullscreen to the TV (ie the Matrox DVD Max feature).
    Taking Asus as an example, do either/both Asus NVIDIA models with TV in/out
    and ATI models with same have this functionality? Does it work as well as
    the Matrox stuff does? 2D quality is important to me as well, but I'd be
    willing to take a relatively small hit in quality on that to gain
    siginificant 3D performance.

    I found the below relevant post. Agree/disagree?

    thanks for any comments,

    --Don
    don{at}donlindbergh{dot}com

    ==
    From: steve ()
    Subject: Re: Matrox 2D image quality so much better?

    View this article only
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox
    Date: 2003-02-22 15:23:49 PST

    As a longtime Matrox user who switched to ATI Radeons (7500, 8500,
    9000) for a year or so, I find that the ASUS and Leadtek NVIDIA
    GeForce4 cards offer the highest quality 2D; their superiority to ATI
    is especially evident as you increase the refresh rate: text displayed
    through ATI cards tends to become darker and fuzzier at higher
    frequencies while text put through GeForce4 cards seems to get a
    little darker but also more sharp.

    The cards I've experienced this with are Leadtek A180-DDR-TDH and ASUS
    V9180-TD and V9280-TD.

    Don Lindbergh, Jul 2, 2003