Mavericks - diskimages-helper

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Alan Browne, May 24, 2014.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Puzzled by Mavericks memory stats (Menu Meters shows one thing, Activity
    Monitor something else) I've been watching it a bit closely.

    In Activity Monitor|Memory

    diskimages-helper is showing a whopping 7.81 GB of memory.

    App Memory is at a whoppinger 13.91 GB. I only have a few, not
    voracious apps loaded... (Mail, T-bird, calendar, reminders, messages,
    Chrome.

    http://tinyurl.com/oqkuny6

    http://tinyurl.com/o47a55b

    Anyone else seeing huge allocations like this?

    Current up time is 8+ days.

    i7, 32 GB, 10.9.3

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2014

  2. Alan Browne

    Guest

    Probably a difference is how inactive memory is tallied.
    Something seems wrong here...

    It's only using 13MB for me, although I only have one image
    mounted at the moment. Mounting a couple more produces two
    more instances of it, at 13.7MB and 11.8MB. The disk image
    sizes are 7.0MB, 238.8MB, and 235.2MB.
    Mine is 4.01GB, with MailMate, Safari (many windows), Terminal,
    and Activity Monitor running. Roughly 2.5GB of that is eaten at
    startup by all the various extra junk I've added.
    Mine is four days, and 8GB.

    Billy Y..

    , May 24, 2014

  3. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    Is it possible that it is mapping to memory some .dmg or .iso you
    mounted ? I suspect memory caching when there is lots of free memory.

    Note that very few processes are able to release memory after it has
    been allocated to them. So once a process has requested hige chunk of
    memory, that pool remains allocated to the process (a "free()" doesn't
    release memory back to the OS, it releases it back to the process free
    memory to be used by the next malloc() in that process).

    So some large allocation done some time ago would remain in the process'
    memory space until the process is restarted. (lack of RAM would then
    cause that memory to page out to disk).

    JF Mezei, May 24, 2014
  4. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, May 24, 2014
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    I've had the same thought - to the point that it's "good" that the swap
    is 0, but not that it's all that matters.

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2014
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    er, 24 GB of ram, ... not that it's all that important for the matter at
    hand.

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2014
  7. "Memory" is quite ambiguous.

    That could be address space not backed by RAM or it could be that it
    does have that much RAM because nothing else has bothered to ask for it
    back.

    I don't know about Activity Monitor, but 'vm_stat 1' will show how much
    the disk and compressor is being used.

    The "MEMORY PRESSURE" graph is mostly broken.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 24, 2014
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Not that I see. I have, other than the sys disk, 4 USB 3.0 disks
    (single volumes) and a RAM disk loaded.

    Unloading the RAM disk seems to get rid of it ... <blush> ... but I
    didn't notice these sorts of memory loads when 10.9."0" came out.

    I've written a somewhat memory voracious GPS data processor that
    allocates 200 - 500 MB at a time - and releases it in an orderly fashion
    with no issues (the mem used goes down between runs while waiting for
    the next go.
    It appears the RAM disk I'm using doesn't return memory after files are
    deleted and trash-emptied.

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2014
  9. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    That lists... in 4K pages. My little head can't handle it right now.

    (Helped someone move today and I'm a few beers and a glass of wine into
    the evening - I'll study those tomorrow or something...)
    In my case per the posted JPG's or generally?

    It's always green on my iMac but often goes yellow on my SO's 2 GB MBA.

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2014
  10. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    If swap is 0 then yes, it is the only number that matters.

    If swap is not 0, then the other numbers matter.

    Lewis, May 26, 2014