Mavericks - diskimages-helper

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Alan Browne, May 24, 2014.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Puzzled by Mavericks memory stats (Menu Meters shows one thing, Activity
    Monitor something else) I've been watching it a bit closely.

    In Activity Monitor|Memory

    diskimages-helper is showing a whopping 7.81 GB of memory.

    App Memory is at a whoppinger 13.91 GB. I only have a few, not
    voracious apps loaded... (Mail, T-bird, calendar, reminders, messages,
    Chrome.

    http://tinyurl.com/oqkuny6

    http://tinyurl.com/o47a55b

    Anyone else seeing huge allocations like this?

    Current up time is 8+ days.

    i7, 32 GB, 10.9.3

    --
    I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2014

  2. Alan Browne

    Guest

    Alan Browne <> writes:

    > Puzzled by Mavericks memory stats (Menu Meters shows one thing, Activity
    > Monitor something else)

    Probably a difference is how inactive memory is tallied.

    > In Activity Monitor|Memory
    >
    > diskimages-helper is showing a whopping 7.81 GB of memory.

    Something seems wrong here...

    It's only using 13MB for me, although I only have one image
    mounted at the moment. Mounting a couple more produces two
    more instances of it, at 13.7MB and 11.8MB. The disk image
    sizes are 7.0MB, 238.8MB, and 235.2MB.

    > App Memory is at a whoppinger 13.91 GB. I only have a few, not
    > voracious apps loaded... (Mail, T-bird, calendar, reminders,
    > messages, Chrome.

    Mine is 4.01GB, with MailMate, Safari (many windows), Terminal,
    and Activity Monitor running. Roughly 2.5GB of that is eaten at
    startup by all the various extra junk I've added.

    > Current up time is 8+ days.
    >
    > i7, 32 GB, 10.9.3

    Mine is four days, and 8GB.

    Billy Y..
    --
    sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
    add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer

    , May 24, 2014

  3. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    On 14-05-24 08:43, Alan Browne wrote:

    > diskimages-helper is showing a whopping 7.81 GB of memory.

    Is it possible that it is mapping to memory some .dmg or .iso you
    mounted ? I suspect memory caching when there is lots of free memory.

    Note that very few processes are able to release memory after it has
    been allocated to them. So once a process has requested hige chunk of
    memory, that pool remains allocated to the process (a "free()" doesn't
    release memory back to the OS, it releases it back to the process free
    memory to be used by the next malloc() in that process).

    So some large allocation done some time ago would remain in the process'
    memory space until the process is restarted. (lack of RAM would then
    cause that memory to page out to disk).

    JF Mezei, May 24, 2014
  4. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Alan Browne <> wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/o47a55b

    Swap used: 0

    The only number that matters.

    --
    'I thought dwarfs didn't believe in devils and demons and stuff like
    that.' 'That's true, but... we're not sure if they know.'

    Lewis, May 24, 2014
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2014.05.24, 18:21 , Lewis wrote:
    > In message <>
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/o47a55b

    > Swap used: 0
    >
    > The only number that matters.

    I've had the same thought - to the point that it's "good" that the swap
    is 0, but not that it's all that matters.

    --
    I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2014
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2014.05.24, 08:43 , Alan Browne wrote:

    > Puzzled by Mavericks memory stats (Menu Meters shows one thing, Activity
    > Monitor something else) I've been watching it a bit closely.
    >
    > In Activity Monitor|Memory
    >
    > diskimages-helper is showing a whopping 7.81 GB of memory.
    >
    > App Memory is at a whoppinger 13.91 GB. I only have a few, not
    > voracious apps loaded... (Mail, T-bird, calendar, reminders, messages,
    > Chrome.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/oqkuny6
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/o47a55b
    >
    > Anyone else seeing huge allocations like this?
    >
    > Current up time is 8+ days.
    >
    > i7, 32 GB, 10.9.3

    er, 24 GB of ram, ... not that it's all that important for the matter at
    hand.

    --
    I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2014
  7. In article <>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > Puzzled by Mavericks memory stats (Menu Meters shows one thing, Activity
    > Monitor something else) I've been watching it a bit closely.
    >
    > In Activity Monitor|Memory
    >
    > diskimages-helper is showing a whopping 7.81 GB of memory.
    >
    > App Memory is at a whoppinger 13.91 GB. I only have a few, not
    > voracious apps loaded... (Mail, T-bird, calendar, reminders, messages,
    > Chrome.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/oqkuny6
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/o47a55b
    >
    > Anyone else seeing huge allocations like this?
    >
    > Current up time is 8+ days.
    >
    > i7, 32 GB, 10.9.3

    "Memory" is quite ambiguous.

    That could be address space not backed by RAM or it could be that it
    does have that much RAM because nothing else has bothered to ask for it
    back.

    I don't know about Activity Monitor, but 'vm_stat 1' will show how much
    the disk and compressor is being used.

    The "MEMORY PRESSURE" graph is mostly broken.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 24, 2014
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2014.05.24, 17:50 , JF Mezei wrote:
    > On 14-05-24 08:43, Alan Browne wrote:
    >
    >> diskimages-helper is showing a whopping 7.81 GB of memory.

    > Is it possible that it is mapping to memory some .dmg or .iso you
    > mounted ? I suspect memory caching when there is lots of free memory.

    Not that I see. I have, other than the sys disk, 4 USB 3.0 disks
    (single volumes) and a RAM disk loaded.

    Unloading the RAM disk seems to get rid of it ... <blush> ... but I
    didn't notice these sorts of memory loads when 10.9."0" came out.

    > Note that very few processes are able to release memory after it has
    > been allocated to them. So once a process has requested hige chunk of
    > memory, that pool remains allocated to the process (a "free()" doesn't
    > release memory back to the OS, it releases it back to the process free
    > memory to be used by the next malloc() in that process).

    I've written a somewhat memory voracious GPS data processor that
    allocates 200 - 500 MB at a time - and releases it in an orderly fashion
    with no issues (the mem used goes down between runs while waiting for
    the next go.

    > So some large allocation done some time ago would remain in the process'
    > memory space until the process is restarted. (lack of RAM would then
    > cause that memory to page out to disk).

    It appears the RAM disk I'm using doesn't return memory after files are
    deleted and trash-emptied.

    --
    I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2014
  9. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2014.05.24, 18:48 , Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    >> Puzzled by Mavericks memory stats (Menu Meters shows one thing, Activity
    >> Monitor something else) I've been watching it a bit closely.
    >>
    >> In Activity Monitor|Memory
    >>
    >> diskimages-helper is showing a whopping 7.81 GB of memory.
    >>
    >> App Memory is at a whoppinger 13.91 GB. I only have a few, not
    >> voracious apps loaded... (Mail, T-bird, calendar, reminders, messages,
    >> Chrome.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/oqkuny6
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/o47a55b
    >>
    >> Anyone else seeing huge allocations like this?
    >>
    >> Current up time is 8+ days.
    >>
    >> i7, 32 GB, 10.9.3

    > "Memory" is quite ambiguous.
    >
    > That could be address space not backed by RAM or it could be that it
    > does have that much RAM because nothing else has bothered to ask for it
    > back.
    >
    > I don't know about Activity Monitor, but 'vm_stat 1' will show how much
    > the disk and compressor is being used.

    That lists... in 4K pages. My little head can't handle it right now.

    (Helped someone move today and I'm a few beers and a glass of wine into
    the evening - I'll study those tomorrow or something...)

    > The "MEMORY PRESSURE" graph is mostly broken.

    In my case per the posted JPG's or generally?

    It's always green on my iMac but often goes yellow on my SO's 2 GB MBA.

    --
    I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2014
  10. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Alan Browne <> wrote:
    > On 2014.05.24, 18:21 , Lewis wrote:
    >> In message <>
    >> Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/o47a55b

    >> Swap used: 0
    >>
    >> The only number that matters.

    > I've had the same thought - to the point that it's "good" that the swap
    > is 0, but not that it's all that matters.

    If swap is 0 then yes, it is the only number that matters.

    If swap is not 0, then the other numbers matter.

    --
    Get in there you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!

    Lewis, May 26, 2014