Maximum GPU core temperature on FX5950 ?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by John Lewis, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    For a <non-overclocked> FX5950 ( 475MHz GPU, 950MHz memory),
    I would like to have some recorded measurements of:-

    1. peak core temperature in full 3D mode
    2. corresponding ambient temperature

    as read from the nVidia Temperature Setting window.

    So, the Desktop needs to be setup to show the Temperature window,
    and then an appropriate 3D game started. The game must be tolerant
    of being instantly put in background using Alt-Tab, as the temperature
    must be read IMMEDIATELY the Desktop is brought up.
    I have noted a 4-5 degree GPU core temperature drop within
    2 SECONDS !! --- as expected with a temp-probe within the chip-core.
    A case-temp monitor would react far more slowly.

    As to suitable test games, Halo is a very good test case. The Far Cry
    demo is another. Both are tolerant of Alt-Tab for exit and re-entry,
    Use the highest screen resolution/frame-rate that you would normally
    exercise. Run the game in full 3D mode for several minutes.

    Why am I interested ?

    I have been lucky enough to acquire a FX5900/128 which can be
    readily overclocked, is verified stable on both benchmarks and
    games at 475 GPU, 900 Mem, and seems capable of being pushed further.
    However, I note that the peak GPU core temp rapidly rises with clock
    speed and @ 475MHz, it peaks at 75 degrees C. I am curious to know
    whether this peak core temperature is normal on a FX5950 at default
    475MHz GPU clock rate.

    Again it is important to record the GPU core temperature immediately
    after Alt-Tab to desktop, the game be run at the highest screen
    resolution/rate that you would normally use, and that the game
    be run in full 3D mode for several minutes.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jan 29, 2004

  2. John Lewis

    Alan Wright Guest

    Mine goes up into the low to mid 50s. Given that the
    automatic core slowing theshold is at 140C, I don't
    there is much of a cooling issue. My ambient is
    in the low 40s, by the way. Also, my card is a
    Leadtek, and is not overclocked.

    Alan

    Alan Wright, Jan 29, 2004

  3. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Ummm..... I have two FX5900/128, one using the
    excellent reference-style heatsink with massive fan,
    the other with dual smaller fans and copper heat-sink.
    Testing exactly as per my instructions (and using Halo
    or the Far Cry demo) at DEFAULT clocks of 400/850
    gives just on 60 degrees C peak worst-case on both
    cards, ambient 42 degrees.

    Di you carry out the temperature measurement
    on your FX5950 exactly as per my instuctions ?
    ( Unless you are using water-cooling of the video
    card, of course -- which should give a very much
    lower ambient....). I am very puzzled. I have indeed
    got similar meaurements to you after exiting
    a 3D game and manually bringing up the temp
    gauge, taking about 15-20 seconds. Unfortunately,
    it literally only takes one second after removing
    the 3D activity to drop the core temp ~ 5 degrees............

    BTW, the 140 degree C threshold is a nonsense
    limit. Running silicon continuously above 80 degree C
    core will shorten the life by roughly a factor of 2
    for every extra 10 degress rise. That limit should
    have been made user-programmable.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jan 29, 2004