  1. Justin

    Justin Guest

    What is the max hard drive size for an iMac Core Due @ 2.0Ghz?

    Justin, Nov 18, 2009

  2. A little more context would help get the most appropriate answer to
    that. You can't buy a new one of those, so I assume you aren't talking
    about that. Lowendmac.com (a good source of specs for lots of Mac
    models) says that model sold with 160 and 250GB drives.

    But if you are talking about upgrading/replacing the drive in an
    existing unit, I know of no reason why it couldn't take a drive of any
    capacity as long as it was the right form factor and interface. You can
    buy drives up to 2 TB. I suspect that heat would be the biggest
    limitation; I wouldn't recommend putting a 10k or 15k RPM drive
    internally; might work, but if you do that and it dies prematurely
    because of overheating, then I didn't recommend it.

    If you thinking of upgrading to a bigger drive instead of replacing a
    dead one, I might recommend adding on an external drive instead. Again,
    there isn't any particular size limitation for them. (I'm sure there are
    finite limits, but probably far enough above the size of drives that
    actually exist that the limits aren't an issue today.) Getting inside of
    an iMac is a pain if you are doing it yourself; I'd off-hand guess that
    if you need to ask what the largest capacity drive is, you probably
    don't want to take on the task of doing the replacement yourself. If you
    pay a professional, you'll likely end up paying more than it would have
    cost to get an external drive box.

    Richard Maine, Nov 18, 2009

  3. Justin

    David Guest

    I have no idea, but my 20" intel iMac happily uses a 1TB external drive
    - it backs up to it and it boots from it

    David

    David, Nov 18, 2009
  4. It will probably work with just about any current (up to 2TB) SATA hard
    drive. Check Accelerate Your Mac's drive compatibility database to see
    if anybody has had problems using the particular drive you're
    considering in your particular iMac.

    <http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso>

    Neill Massello, Nov 18, 2009
  5. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Gotcha.
    The reason I'm asking is that I have an opportunity to buy a used one
    but it doesn't have a hard drive. The drive went bad, and the owner
    wants to upgrade to a 27" rather than fix it.
    I'm looking to get something for my parents - so it doesn't have to be a
    powerhouse. I might even get then a G5 - but I don't think they come
    with isight.
    The isight is important because I am taking a job that will have me
    travel all over the world for months at a time.
    My MBP 15" + Skype + parents' iMac = teleconference!
    Or maybe we'll use iChat.
    The only problem is Mom liked her HP running Vista - but we'll fix that
    soon enough.

    Justin, Nov 18, 2009
  6. The last release of iMac G5s did come with iSight. I knew that my 20" G5
    iMac from Dec 2005 had an iSight. I still own that machine, but it isn't
    my main one any more; two since then, the last being this shiny
    (literally :)) 27" iMac. My 4-year-old G5 iMac has been relegated to
    the back room at my wife's math tutoring business.

    Checking lowendmac, it sounds like the built-in iSight was new to the
    ones released in Oct 2005.

    Richard Maine, Nov 18, 2009
  7. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Gotcha.
    I'll do some more research and see what I can figure out. As a grad
    student I'm on somewhat of a budget. However Dad paid for my undergrad
    so I figure I owe him (them?) a bit. ;)

    Justin, Nov 18, 2009
  8. Heh, heh. I bought my mother a reconditioned recent model iMac when I
    was home for Dad's funeral (he was 80) this February. Replaced a piece
    of junk eMachines box that she had. I'm a retired NASA engineer on a
    quite decent pension (and my wife is as well), so I'm not on a horribly
    tight budget. Well, still paying off my daughter's college bill from an
    expensive private school, but I can manage. Mom was effusively happy
    with the iMac, complaining only that I shouldn't have spent so much
    (about $1000). I figure I've got a long ways to go before I spend enough
    that we are "even"; I don't think any amount of money will quite do it.

    Richard Maine, Nov 19, 2009
  9. Justin

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    Well, yes.

    But of course you mean a SATA hard drive in an enclosure with USB or
    Firewire, as the iMac does not have its own SATA connection.

    Daniel Cohen, Nov 20, 2009
  10. "Of course?" I'd guess not. I'd guess that he means just what he said.
    The internal drive of the iMac is SATA. Insomuch as the OP was talking
    about an iMac with a dead drive, answers addressed at replacements for
    that dead drive seem pretty relevant. As noted elsethread, it can be a
    bit of a pain to get to the internal drive so that might not be the best
    solution, but it certainly is a possible one.

    Richard Maine, Nov 20, 2009
  11. Justin

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    Yes, you're right.

    Daniel Cohen, Nov 20, 2009
  12. Justin

    VAXman- Guest

    Have a white iMac 20" here (circa 1997). I put a 2GB drive into it.

    http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

    VAXman- , Nov 21, 2009
  13. 2007?

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 21, 2009
  14. Justin

    VAXman- Guest

    Oops... replying to two messages at same time... on in a retro-computing
    group. Yes, 2007 not 1997.

    http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

    VAXman- , Nov 21, 2009
  15. Justin

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    You got a _white_ iMac in 1997? You got an iMac with a 20" display in 1997?
    So you have a time machine, right? Can I borrow it? I'd like to go back to
    1996 and buy some Apple stock.

    J.J. O'Shea, Nov 21, 2009
  16. Seems a little small even for '97, though I suppose you could probably
    at least fit the OS in 2GB then. :)

    Richard Maine, Nov 21, 2009
  17. Justin

    VAXman- Guest

    Sheesh, I have got to stop posting before I have had ample caffeination.
    Should have read 2007 and 2TB.

    I was being interrupted too this morn by my one son who has been working
    on my other son's vehicle while he's home from Penn State on Thanksgiving
    break.

    http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

    VAXman- , Nov 21, 2009
  18. Justin

    Nick Naym Guest

    2GB???

    Nick Naym, Nov 21, 2009
  19. Justin

    VAXman- Guest

    C'mon, 18+ hours later? You should have seen my follow-up correction.

    http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

    VAXman- , Nov 22, 2009