    on how to get more than 4 drives running. Could it be as simple as
    installing drivers? If so, what device do I install them to. After a
    HDD failing, I'm anxious to start backing up my other drives.TIA.

    scooterp7, Feb 12, 2007

  2. scooterp7

    Tom Lake Guest

    Usually MSI includes a floppy disk with the RAID driver on it.
    Run the setup from that floppy or, if no setup, there should be
    a .msi file you can right-click on and install. It will install to your
    boot drive.
    The rest is automatic. If you have no floppy, go to the MSI Website
    and download it.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Feb 12, 2007

  3. scooterp7

    scooterp7 Guest

    Thanks for your quick response and help. Oh boy am I an idiot. I just
    noticed the word raid in "SATAIIRAID". Does this mean that if I want
    more than 4 sata's I would need to set up an array?

    scooterp7, Feb 12, 2007
  4. scooterp7

    Tom Lake Guest

    Not really. You can have a RAID array with just one drive in it.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Feb 12, 2007
  5. scooterp7

    Paul Guest

    There are drivers here, and a non-RAID driver is available for SIL3132.

    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=32&cid=3&ctid=2&osid=4&

    And the device itself, doesn't have RAID in the description. Meaning
    the SIL3132 is a "soft raid" and the BIOS module and the OS driver,
    give it the RAID functions (or not). The cool thing about the
    SIL3132, is that it can be extended with "Port Multiplier" chips.
    You can buy two five port Port Multiplier boxes for about $100 each,
    and they would allow your SIL3132 to control 10 disk drives.

    http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI-DS-0138-C.pdf

    This is a port multiplier box for SIL3132:

    http://www.cooldrives.com/cosapomubrso.html
    http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cooldrives/SATARAIDManual.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 12, 2007
  6. scooterp7

    Grunion Guest

    No, just load the driver for the on-board controller.

    -Grun

    Grunion, Feb 12, 2007