    cost to keep on all day 24/7 as we received are bill which is £390 for
    6months and i want to know how much my comp could cost daily?

    many thanks

    MagicUK, May 21, 2004

  2. MagicUK

    John McGaw Guest

    How much it costs to run depends on 1. what power costs (probably stated as
    £ per KW/Hour), 2. how much power is being consumed on average, 3. and for
    how long it is being consumed.

    The power consumption is highly variable. My Shuttle SB65G2 with 3gHz P4,
    512mB, Plextor DVD burner, 160gB hard drive, 9600XT video is consuming 185W
    as I type this. To be fair, the UPS that it is plugged into is consuming
    that much power but it is also providing power to the 17" LCD monitor, a
    small speaker setup, and even a 12W compact flourescent light on the desk.
    And the computer is running a distributed processing weather program (CPDN
    from Oxford University) which saturates the CPU doing computations. Stopping
    that program leaving only normal background tasks running drops the power
    consumption to < 130W.

    So, I can calculate my power cost by multiplying power consumed multipled by
    the number of hours and converting to KWhours and then dividing by the cost
    of a single KWhour. Since power is relatively inexpensive at ~$0.07 per
    KWhour where I live my Shuttle costs something like $0.31 to operate every
    day.

    To find out what your computer costs to run you need to know what the power
    consumption is, measured or guesstimated, and what your local power provider
    charges per unit.

    John McGaw, May 21, 2004

  3. MagicUK

    John McGaw Guest

    So, I can calculate my power cost by multiplying power consumed multipled
    by
    Damn! I never seem to be able to proofread my own writing. In the paragraph
    above the divide should clearly be multiply. I did the maths correctly but
    typed wrongly. Sorry for any confusion...

    John McGaw, May 21, 2004
  4. MagicUK

    kony Guest

    Random guesstimation of avg wattage is 140W, 30W more for large CRT or 30W
    less for LCD monitor.

    http://www.ukpower.co.uk/running-costs-elec.asp

    kony, May 21, 2004
  5. MagicUK

    R.J.Dunlop Guest

    Well looking at my UK bill I think power costs me 6.6p/kWh so a 200 Watt
    load for 182.5 days is going to cost:

    200 / 1000 * 0.066 * 24 * 182.5 = £57.816

    Suggest you look elsewhere for the source of the bill. Emersion heater
    left on 24/7 perhaps ?

    R.J.Dunlop, May 22, 2004
  6. A common reason for a huge bill is that they've actually read your
    meter instead of guestimated it.

    Quentin Stephens, May 22, 2004
  7. MagicUK

    David Jones Guest

    It sounds like someone is trying to bill you for other overhead. Your
    computer by itself does not use that much elelctricity. However, if your
    host provider is billing you for a portion of his overhead .... you got
    screwed. smile!

    David Jones, May 24, 2004
  8. MagicUK

    Bobmoorhead Guest

    Very poor for £390.

    I can run heater 4000w for this money all week long.

    Bobmoorhead, Jan 31, 2014

  9. 200W for 24/7 for 180 days = 864kWh.

    At ~20p a unit that would be about £180 or £1 per day.

    You will save money if

    You have economy 7
    You put the monitor into standby after a short period away from the screen
    You put the PC into standby after as longer period of non use (but this may
    upset peripherals)

    R. Mark Clayton, Jan 31, 2014