  1. My Asus board came with a little util that tells CPU temp, MB
    temp, and a number of other things.

    Is there something on my EP45-DS3L install disc that I missed?

    (PeteCresswell), Nov 6, 2008

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    jt Guest

    The Gigabtye program that does that is called EasyTune. You can DL from
    the website too.

    jt, Nov 7, 2008

  3. Per jt:
    Thanks.

    Found it by Googling "Gigabyte EasyTune Download".

    I hope my new motherboard is going to work better done than
    GigaByte's web site... -)

    (PeteCresswell), Nov 7, 2008
  4. Per (PeteCresswell):
    Anybody know how it is presented?

    I've clicked "Setup.exe" a few times and there's about .75
    seconds of "Install Wiz"... but it just flashes past.

    After that, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

    Should it be a choice somewhere on the Start menu?

    (PeteCresswell), Nov 7, 2008
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    Did you download from the Utilities link here ? EasyTune6. Released Oct29/08.

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Utility_Model.aspx?ProductID=2844

    Utilities like that, need to access hardware. The method used,
    might be an ACPI object (with info passed by the BIOS to the
    OS at boot time). A second way, is for a driver to be installed
    when the utility is installed. If that doesn't work, you could
    try installing as administrator.

    For example, in my Device Manager hidden devices, one of the
    Asus programs left behind an "Asushwio" driver, which could be
    how something like Asus Probe gets to the hardware.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 7, 2008
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    Beemer Guest

    Pete,

    You should have the easytune 6 icon in your taskbar. Alternate click on it
    and select "show"

    Note that the instructions for changing fan speed is a little incorrect as
    it appears that there is a slider missing but it does work if you change the
    left hand slider.

    regards,

    Beemer

    Beemer, Nov 7, 2008
  7. Per Paul:
    Apparently not.

    Must've been from another page on the site, bc I wound up with
    something named "motherboard_utility_ultra_tpm.exe" instead of
    the "motherboard_utility_gbttools_gbt_et6.exe" which is
    downloading right now from the link above.

    Thanks for the corrected link.

    (PeteCresswell), Nov 7, 2008
  8. Per Beemer:
    I've got it now - thanks to the corrected download link.

    Whenever the machine is booted, it starts giving off what I'd
    interpret as an alarm signal. None of the numbers are at of
    above the warning limits - but it keeps on making the noise until
    I manage to close it down.

    Any thoughts?

    (PeteCresswell), Nov 8, 2008
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    Onsokumaru Guest

    Sometimes if you use the fan speed alarm, it can sound for quite a few
    seconds until the CPU gets hot enough and the fan spins up.

    Onsokumaru, Nov 9, 2008
  10. (PeteCresswell)

    Beemer Guest

    Pete,

    My guess is that Easytune is trying to monitor one or more fans that are not
    actually installed as happened to me. Touching each fan's center with your
    finger will show which fan is which as you watch the Easytune fan page.
    Then you can lower the slider of the missing fan's so that it changes from
    red to blue. Of course you must have the fan control activated in the bios.
    My fans are only 3 pin so I had to set "voltage" as the fan control bios
    option. You can then select the advanced fan control in Easytune. If you
    cannot stop the noise you can always switch the sound off in Easytune.

    Beemer

    Beemer, Nov 9, 2008
  11. Per Beemer:
    That rings true to me.

    I'll be pulling this thing apart in the next few days if/when I
    go to Raid0 and I'll do it after rebuilding the sys.

    (PeteCresswell), Nov 10, 2008
  12. (PeteCresswell)

    geoff Guest

    I installed it and it works great for me, however, if I start changing some
    of the settings, I assume I could lock up my PC easily.

    For example, the FSB setting has a slider. If I cranked that up to maximum,
    the PC could lock up?

    --g

    geoff, Nov 10, 2008
  13. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    That is generally the idea. I was experimenting with my latest build
    just yesterday, and that is what happened. Instead of Prime95 erroring
    out, the computer just froze when I bumped up the FSB while in Windows.
    So a freeze is possible. In my case, I was using SETFSB, because
    there is no utility for my board.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 10, 2008
  14. (PeteCresswell)

    geoff Guest

    When one changes one of those sliders, is the change made in the bios.

    In other words, if the FSB is bumped up and the computer freezes, can I
    simply reboot or do I have to put the setting back in the BIOS?

    --g

    geoff, Nov 11, 2008
  15. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    I've never used any tool that changed the BIOS as a side effect.
    But I understand it is possible to do it. I personally
    wouldn't use a tool that has BIOS hooks, because that is
    a little too much automation for my liking.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 11, 2008
  16. (PeteCresswell)

    geoff Guest

    In general, in terms of percentage, say for the FSB, how much can the speed
    be cranked up and still have a reliable system?

    --g

    geoff, Nov 12, 2008
  17. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    I'm working on my system right now. The processor was selected,
    to suit a motherboard with a low limit on FSB (1066).

    2.6GHz/FSB800/2MB L2 - nominal is 1.35V (E4700)

    With a BSEL mod and boosted Vcore (OFFSET pin mod)

    3.46GHz/FSB1066 - 1.45V

    Under those conditions, Prime errors out on one of the two cores,
    after 15 minutes. Before the Vcore mod was added, I couldn't even
    get the BIOS to start at that speed.

    If I use CrystalCPUID, which can change the multiplier and the
    voltage (but the voltage option is useless for this - VID changes
    are clipped by the CPU internal logic), I can then run the following
    condition

    2.66GHZ/FSB1066 (multiplier 10X) - 1.45V

    With those conditions, where the core is no longer overclocked,
    but my FSB is, I've run Prime on the two cores for eight hours
    without a problem. So that tells me the chipset, crappy as it is,
    isn't to blame. I'm not FSB limited. I also get a small percentage
    improvement in memory bandwidth (3000 to 3300MB/sec, depending on
    settings and benchmark app). That is still quite a bit lower than
    any regular motherboards.

    So currently, that tells me I need a bit more Vcore, if I want
    to pass Prime. As long as it hasn't hit a wall, and I don't have
    enough data points to guess at that right now. (I cannot adjust
    the clock in the BIOS, because the BIOS is known to misprogram
    the clock generator. Even small overclocks fail. That is why
    I used BSEL instead, as a canonical clock choice means the BIOS
    doesn't have to change anything.)

    I had hoped, when I started this project, I'd be able
    to just set the clock to 266MHz, and magically I'd get
    3.5GHz :)

    My last overclock (S478) went about as well. My P4 wouldn't overclock
    very well either. The experience seems to be, once Intel fine
    tunes the binning, the cheap processors lose their magic. When
    a new generation of processor comes out, the first barrel-full
    seems to be less limited. (Nehalem, get'em while they're hot.)

    I wouldn't even have bothered overclocking in the first place
    (because right now, everything is speedy enough at stock), but
    I noticed when benchmarking that my memory bandwidth was terrible.
    All I really wanted to do was bump the FSB and leave the core
    alone, but this Asrock motherboard is fighting every inch of the
    way. That is why I had to get out the soldering iron... To make
    up for some moronic decisions by some BIOS designers. They gutted
    EIST (disabled in BIOS and setting disappeared), and then prevented
    multiplier changes, and the multiplier field says "change disabled
    whenever EIST is enabled". Since they disabled EIST and removed it
    from the BIOS, by their own logic, I should be able to change the
    multiplier. Nope. So I have to change the multiplier in Windows,
    and get the computer stable enough, so it can boot at 3.46GHz (only
    realistic option with respect to the BIOS).

    That is what I get, for wanting to keep my AGP card and save
    a few bucks. I'm almost tempted to keep working on it, until
    I break it.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 12, 2008