    TX650 - it is not being recognized by either the OS, by Belarc or by the
    Crucial system scanner. Is there something else I need to do to get the
    system to recognize it?

    Kathleen Anderson, Feb 19, 2006

  2. Kathleen Anderson

    Quaoar Guest

    Remove and reinstall the chip, making sure that the pins are fully
    inserted when clipped down - there should be less than a millimeter
    clearance at the key slot. If there is a second slot available, try it
    also.

    Quaoar, Feb 19, 2006

  3. I've already done it twice. I'll give it another try.

    If there is a second slot available, try it
    There's only one empty slot.

    Thanks,

    KAthleen

    Kathleen Anderson, Feb 19, 2006
  4. The laptop came with 1 512MB PC2-3200 400MHz DDR2 (512MB x 1) - the memory
    I got from Crucial is PC2-4200 - they didn't have the PC2-3200. Could that
    be causing the problem?

    Kathleen Anderson, Feb 19, 2006
  5. Kathleen Anderson

    Quaoar Guest

    I don't think it should be a problem; Crucial shows it as compatible.
    Boot into BIOS setup and check the RAM settings there. Reinstall the
    original chip and check that it is recognized also. There are problems
    with the RAM slots on some Vaio laptops but I don't recall the TX being
    one of them. It is possible that the RAM has failed.

    Quaoar, Feb 19, 2006
  6. Quaoar:

    I tried again this mornng - I noticed there was clearance at the "notch"
    (key slot?) so I took out the memory and put it back in, making sure it went
    all the way in this time. Booted up - the OS, Belarc and the Crucial scanner
    all see it now.

    Thanks very much,

    Kathleen Anderson, Feb 19, 2006
  7. Kathleen Anderson

    Quaoar Guest

    You're quite welcome! I'm happy it all worked out.

    Quaoar, Feb 19, 2006