  1. vinay

    vinay Guest

    What is meant by memory bank, rank ang channels???

    vinay, Nov 16, 2006

  2. vinay

    Paul Guest

    Inside a memory chip, there are "four rectangle" of memory.
    Each one of those is called a "bank".

    The dimensions of the rectangles inside the memory chip,
    are defined by "rows" and "columns".

    Memory chips use those three dimensions for internal addressing.

    Memory busses on current generation systems are 64 bits wide.
    If you have a 512MB DIMM, it might have 8 chips on each side
    of the DIMM. 8 chips, each having 8 data bits, forms a 64
    bit wide array, and those 8 chips are called a "rank". A
    double sided 512MB DIMM has two "ranks". (Note that some
    people use the term "rank" or they use the term "bank"
    for this. But using the term bank for both the side of
    a DIMM, and for the internal operation of a single memory
    chip, can lead to confusion. "Rank" is a more unique
    term for this purpose, at the DIMM level.)

    There are other chip formations possible. A 1GB DIMM, constructed
    from 128Mx4 memory chips, also has a total of 16 chips. But
    since each chip is only 4 bits wide on the data bus, it takes
    16 chips to build a 64 bit wide "rank". Thus, a cheap 1GB module
    constructed with x4 chips, has a single "rank", but is double sided.
    Thus, "ranks" are not the same thing as "sides" of memory.
    But many people abuse the terminology, and pretend that
    they are equal concepts.

    "Channels" are independent memory interfaces on a Northbridge.
    A memory channel consists of a 64 bit data bus, some address
    bits and control bits.

    A Northbridge can have two channels. When they work together
    for a common cause, that is termed "dual channel". Effectively
    the two channels work together, and look like a 128 bit wide
    data bus, instead of the 64 bit data width of a single channel.
    Typically, the user is expected to use matching DIMMs, in
    equivalent locations, on each channel, to get the benefit
    of dual channel operation.

    It is possible for a chipset to have more than two memory
    channels. This chipset, for example, has four memory channels.

    http://journal.mycom.co.jp/special/2006/blackford/images/Photo01l.jpg

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 16, 2006

  3. vinay

    Fred Guest

    Fred, Nov 18, 2006
  4. vinay

    Andrews Wilmer

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,
    I have a G570 Lenovo motherboard. I'm not quite sure whether this motherboard supports 1R or 2R or both. I found out a manual for this motherboard, http://www.s-manuals.com/pdf/motherboard/compal/compal_la-6751p,_la-6753p_r0.3_schematics.pdf
    Currently it is using a RAM, and the sticker on it doesn't show whether its 1R or 2R! The RAM specification is
    RAMAXEL RMT 3010 EC 58E 8F -1333 http://ramaxel.com/product/DOWN/book/RMT3010EC58E8F-1333.pdf.

    Currently I want to add another 4GB to it! I m confused whether I should go for a 1Rx8 4GB or 2Rx8 4GB.
    Will this motherboard support mixing of different memory modules?

    I m sure that 2R has more stable performance than 1R, therefore I m thinking of adding a 2Rx8 4GB with the 2GB I have now, and later remove the 2GB and add another 2Rx8 4GB, so that would make 8GB totally.

    Note: In the motherboard manual it says "DDR3 SO-DIMM *2 and bank 0,1,2,3". What does this means?

    Andrew

    Andrews Wilmer, Nov 27, 2015