Memory for Gigabyte GA-K8N MOBO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john chapman, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. john chapman

    john chapman Guest

    MOBO is for Athlon 64. Specs say it takes 3 184 pin DDR DIMM

    Supports DDR400 DIMM
    Supports unbuffered DIMMs with 64 bit data bus with optional 8 bits of
    Error Correcting Code (ECC)

    The ZIPZOOMFLY.COM site lists many 512MB memory modules, and I am
    confused. I am going to order the modules and I do not want to make a
    mistake. Probably will end up with Corsair or Kingston, but am open to
    other recommendations.

    Can anyone give me some specific advice regarding memory.
    Are the modules with heat shields worthwhile?
    What are the CL and CAS designations (e.g., CAS3) that some modules
    have?
    Are the more expensive modules worth it?
    Is ECC worth getting in a chip?
    What are HyperX and XMS, and is it a comptibility problem? They seem
    to be for gaming boards.

    john chapman, Feb 20, 2004

  2. john chapman

    Dave C. Guest

    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR400X64C25/512

    CAS is a motherboard timing for accessing information stored in memory.
    (that's the simple explanation, anyway) For the Athlon64, the memory is
    actually controlled by the CPU, but that's another story. All you need to
    know about CAS is that lower numbers are better (so 2.5 is better than 3,
    but usually more expensive). You don't need ECC, and you don't need to
    worry about HyperX or XMS.

    You won't need "expensive" modules or heat shields unless you intend to
    overclock, but don't overclock. :) -Dave

    Dave C., Feb 20, 2004

  3. I've been very confused about memories too and couldn't find a page on the
    web with a list of all those terms explained (and what kind of motherboards
    they go on).
    Anyone can recommand a reference site/page/book ?

    Guillaume Dargaud, Feb 20, 2004
  4. john chapman

    Jim a Guest

    Doesn't the Crucial site have a feature that matches the correct memory to
    the specific motherboard.

    Jim

    Jim a, Feb 21, 2004
  5. john chapman

    Dave C. Guest

    Yup, and so does Kingston and Mushkin. Probably every good brand
    hould. -Dave

    Dave C., Feb 21, 2004
  6. john chapman

    john chapman Guest

    Crucial does not list my Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro mobo.

    john chapman, Feb 22, 2004