Memory Leak and p4p800 with XP

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Eric, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    I have a p4p800 deluxe with 1 gig of ddr 3200 RAM (dual channel) -- running
    windows xp pro. I don't overclock. Running at 800 FSB. I have PAT and
    hyperthreading enabled.

    I notice that when I first reboot my computer, task manager shows a "commit
    charge" of about 72 mb.

    As time goes on, that "commit charge" figure slowly creeps up. After a day
    or two it stays at around 80 mb. Then a few days later or so it might be in
    the 90s. After a few weeks it will be around 115 mb (when the computer is
    essentially at rest). At that time, performance seems slower (windows take
    longer to open, whether exploring my computer or opening IE).

    After a month or so (with commit charge now in the 120s when the computer is
    at rest), I'll reboot and the cycle will start over again.

    I have only two apps that start at start-up (nvidia task manager and the
    soundmax drivers). Only 17 processes are shown as running in task manager
    (when I'm not doing anything on the computer, other than viewing task
    manager). I run a lean machine.

    So what is going on? Do I have a memory leak, or is this normal for XP?

    Eric, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Eric

    Guardian Guest

    Maybe this link will help explain things a little.
    http://teamapproach.ca/trouble/TaskManager.htm

    Also, I found several links that explain the commit charge by searching
    google using keywords 'commit charge in windows task manager'

    Guardian, Apr 1, 2004

  3. By chance are you using the RAID setup and the monitor utility from Promise?
    This utility has a serious memory leak. When you fire up task manager with
    the monitor service running you can see your handles and non-paged pool
    bytes steadily increasing and hogging up your memory.

    news.lightship.net, Apr 16, 2004
  4. Eric

    eric Guest

    Nope -- no RAID no promise.