memory leak

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mr.athlon, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. mr.athlon

    mr.athlon Guest

    My PC is A7V266 w/1GHz Athlon. BIOS is 1002B. The problem probably isn't
    with the MB, but you guys probably know the answer - so I'm asking my
    question here. My graphics card is ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9600 Pro. The
    ATI multimedia programs like File Player, TV watcher etc., often freeze
    during startup. Sometimes they get up and running but they freeze or crash
    easily. I noticed there is a serious memory leak indicated by the MS
    Windows System Monitor program. The leak starts when I start recording TV,
    VCR or other source. Stopping recording does not recover any of the leaked
    memory - rebooting is necessary. It leaks about 300 MB of my free memory in
    less than 10 minutes. Of course, a crash eventually happens when memory is
    down to nothing. The memory is 256MB of PC2100 and 256MB of PC2700. I
    removed the PC2700 but got the same result with only the single SDRAM. I
    have the latest VIA AGP driver installed. I have been tinkering with this
    problem for about 18 months and have tried many things. Maybe I need to
    tinker with memory settings in BIOS. I don't know. It could be a thousand
    different things. I suspect the memory leak is probably caused by the same
    thing causing instability and freezing.

    Another wierd symptom: sometimes there are rather long delays after I click
    something before the requested action starts happening. An example: I
    click to make a DVD movie (in my PC) get displayed on my television set.
    Nothing happens. Then after about 2 minutes the movie starts showing on the
    television. That was probably due to memory being very low - but I wasn't
    monitoring memory at that point so I don't know.

    Your suggestions will be appreciated.

    TIA. Bill S.

    mr.athlon, Jul 22, 2005

  2. mr.athlon

    Mercury Guest

    The memory leak sounds like it is entirely an application software or
    perhaps driver issue.
    I would check for driver updates and application updates.
    Consider using different software entirely.
    Solve one problem at a time - work on one at a time.
    A h/w or bios issue will not cause a program running inside an operating
    system to ask for memory it does not later free. It could, but it would be
    easier to win lotto.
    Your system may have other issues, but the above sound like such major
    issues, that a review would help after they are rectified.

    Check for memory stability using memtest86 and system stability using
    Prime95.

    The program start issues could be for a multitude of reasons. If your system
    tests as stable the memory leak problem could cause all sorts of other
    issues.

    Your BIOS does sound particularly old - if the memory test works out fine
    (at least 2 full cycles with 0 errors) then consider upgrading it.

    - Tim

    Mercury, Jul 22, 2005

  3. mr.athlon

    Egil Solberg Guest

    Latest is to be found here:
    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_A/VIA_Chipset/Apollo_KT266/A7V266/

    Egil Solberg, Jul 22, 2005