Memory suggestions Gigabyte EP45-DS3L (DDR2 1333 / 1200 ???)

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Giga Guy, Mar 10, 2009.

  1. Giga Guy

    Giga Guy Guest

    Does Gigabyte have any forums on their web site?

    I'm looking for suggestions for memory for Gigabyte EP45-DS3L rev 1.0
    board.

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2844

    The box says DDR2 1333/1200/1066/800/667, 1.8 volts, but I can't find
    any DDR2 1333, very few 1200, some 1100, and mostly 1066 and 800.

    This looks good:

    ------------------
    http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT2KIT25664AA1067

    4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-8500 memory module
    CT2KIT25664AA1067

    * Module Size: 4GB kit (2GBx2)
    * Package: 240-pin DIMM
    * Feature: DDR2 PC2-8500
    * Specs: DDR2 PC2-8500 CL=7 Unbuffered NON-ECC
    * DDR2-1066 1.8V 256Meg x 64
    ---------------

    And it's cheap enough ($80). Will it work?

    Is it a waste of time looking for DDR2 1333, 1200, 1150 or 1100 ?

    Should I ask this question on any other forum, like tomshardware?

    Giga Guy, Mar 10, 2009

  2. Giga Guy

    JR Weiss Guest

    Yes, it will work just fine.

    So will

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

    which is what I have on both my Gigabyte MoBos (P35 and X48). It's even cheaper
    (Note: direct from Crucial is not necessarily the cheapest place to get Crucial
    memory, either).

    IMO, yes. The price isn't worth the theoretical performance increase, and
    longer latency on cheaper memory could make the "faster" RAM work not as well as
    the more common RAM.

    Sure. I think you'll find a consensus for the PC2-8500, though...

    JR Weiss, Mar 11, 2009

  3. Giga Guy

    RonM Guest

    RonM, Mar 11, 2009
  4. Giga Guy

    Jon Danniken Guest

    I'm using that same board, bought last year (great board). Been happy using
    a 2x2Gb GSkill RAM kit that I bought with it, with specs of: CL5, 5-5-5-15,
    DDR2-1000 (PC2-8000).

    I don't think that particular kit is still available, but I've been
    perfectly happy with the specs (and it was on sale at the time, which is why
    I bought it).

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Mar 11, 2009
  5. Giga Guy

    RonM Guest

    I guess what I am getting at is:

    I have the GA-EP45-UD3P mobo.
    I would like to get an E8400 or E8500
    processor and run it overclocked (not gaming)
    at 3.6 /4.0 Ghz -

    Which speed would make this easier
    or would it matter?

    Thanks

    RonM, Mar 11, 2009
  6. Giga Guy

    Giga Guy Guest

    Ok, looking for comments here.

    I picked up a couple of these:

    OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Fatal1ty 4GB Dual Channel

    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_8500_fatal1ty_4gb_dual_channel

    The price was right (about $70, and with a rebate it should work out to
    something like $50 but I'm not counting on getting the rebate because
    they never work).

    It was pointed out to me that this ram is configured for 2.2v operation,
    which is not necessarily a good thing (it's better if you can run at
    high speed without having to resort to raising the voltage so high
    beyond the standard 1.8v).

    I'm going to try these out tommorrow and buy more if they work. I don't
    have a system built yet, was thinking of just running memtest86
    (correct?) on a naked board.

    Comments?

    Giga Guy, Mar 12, 2009
  7. Giga Guy

    Giga Guy Guest

    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_8500_fatal1ty_4gb_dual_channel

    Update:

    Ok, I plugged 4 of those ram sticks into the Gigabyte mobo.

    CPU is Q8200 (Core2 Quad)
    - 2.33 ghz
    - FSB 1333 mhz

    The thing powered up ok. I went into the bios, and was confronted with
    about a dozen or two different types of settings that are not really
    intutitive.

    One thing I noticed was that the bios was indicating that the ram was
    running at 800 mhz. I thought this ram was 1066 ?

    What do I need to do to setup the bios properly for this ram?

    PS: Intel, your heat-sink push pins suck really badly. I ripped them
    out and used 4 small bolts to mount the heatsink instead.

    Giga Guy, Mar 12, 2009
  8. Giga Guy

    RonM Guest

    The board defaults to the 800Mhz setting -
    Go into the bios and change the settings/voltage per the RAM sticker
    yourself.
    Don't use the EasyTune program as it may overvolt.

    Let me know how it goes - I am wondering if I
    should have got the faster stuff myself.

    RonM, Mar 12, 2009
  9. Giga Guy

    Giga Guy Guest

    You saying that just by increasing the ram voltage, that the mobo will
    be able to "sense" something in the ram and increase the clock speed
    automatically?

    I think it said 2.0 or 2.1 or 2.2 v on the package. I did up the
    voltage to 1.9 but it still said 800 mhz in the bios.
    There's no OS on this thing yet. Is there a ram stress program that
    boots from a floppy? Was it something like memtest86? Is that what I'm
    thinking about?
    The earliest I'll be able to post back my next results will be about 6
    pm EST tommorrow.

    Giga Guy, Mar 12, 2009
  10. Giga Guy

    RonM Guest

    You have to manually enter in your voltage, 2.0, and timings,
    which the website for your ram says are CL 6-7-7-20.
    It says you can go up to 2.05 v before violating the warrantee.
    EasyTune is a software program that Gigabyte includes with some of it's
    boards.

    OCZ / Products / Memory / OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Fatal1ty 4GB Dual Channel
    OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Fatal1ty 4GB Dual Channel
    a..
    a.. OCZ2F10664GK
    CompUSATigerDirect USANeweggAmazon
    b..

    1066MHz DDR2
    CL 6-7-7-20
    (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
    Available in 4GB (2x2048MB) dual channel kits
    Unbuffered
    Fatal1ty Branded XTC Heatspreader*
    Lifetime Warranty
    2.0 Volts
    240 Pin DIMM

    Special Features

    2.05V EVP***

    Part Numbers

    4GB Dual Channel Kit PN - OCZ2F10664GK

    OCZ2F10664GK
    CompUSA . TigerDirect USA . Newegg . Amazon

    OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 / 1066MHz / Fatal1ty Edition / 4GB Dual
    Channel

    The OCZ Fatal1ty series is the official memory for the
    Championship Gaming Series. These high-performance memory kits were
    co-developed with the expertise of the world's 12-time champion to meet the
    needs of fellow gamers, and are designed to help deliver exceptional gaming
    visuals and overclocking potential to ensure your high-powered gaming PC
    maintains unsurpassed stability.

    The OCZ Fatal1ty memory kits feature high densities and
    blazing frequencies to help DirectX-10 PC games reach their full potential
    on the latest platforms.

    * XTC (Xtreme Thermal Convection) heatspreaders optimize
    the thermal management of memory modules by promoting greater airflow by
    means of micro-convection throughout what is usually the dead air space
    inside conventional heatspreader designs. In this manner, build-up of heat
    is avoided and thermal dissipation of the memory components is offloaded
    more efficiently through the honeycomb design. At the same time, mechanical
    stability is maintained.

    --
    Ron A. Marraccini
    Legal Investigations - PSID #33657

    RonM, Mar 12, 2009
  11. Giga Guy

    Giga Guy Guest

    Giga Guy, Mar 13, 2009
  12. Giga Guy

    Giga Guy Guest

    Ok, after all that shit with memtest 3.5, I'll be using memtest86+ 2.11
    from now on.

    What I've been testing so far are these:

    Kingston KHX8500D2K2/4G

    Kingston specs are 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2V, but they run really hot. I didn't
    take them above 2.0v. I found it was stable at 6-6-6-16 at 1066mhz
    (memory clock at 533 mhz) at 1.9v. I tried running it at 1110 mhz at
    2.0v but it failed memtest 2.11 consistently at about the 35% part of
    pass 1. Running at 1066, memtest reports 4226 mb/sec (single channel)
    and 5425 mb/sec (dual channel).

    Corsair Twin2X4096-8500C

    Specs printed on the dimms say 7-7-7-20, 2.0v, 1066 mhz. I found it
    stable at 6-6-6-16 at 2.0v running 1110 mhz. Memtest
    reports 4385 mb/s (single channel). Haven't tried them in dual channel.

    I'd have to give the edge to Corsair in this comparison.

    This again is on a Gigabyte EP45-DS3L with Intel Q8200 (Core2 Quad
    SLB5M) 2.33 GHz (clock multiplier 333 MHz x 7).

    My next test won't be for another day or two. I will try the OCZ
    fatality again, and try a full 8gb of ram.

    Does anyone mess around with the pages and pages of additional bios ram
    settings? Is there any pattern or proceedure for setting those? Should
    I even bother?

    Does anyone maintains a list of memtest speed charts or tables? There
    are lots of performance numbers out there that the various publications
    resort to, but I don't think I've seen any of them use the raw mb/sec
    numbers from memtest86.

    Why on earth did the industry migrate from DDR to DDR2 and now to DDR3
    if there are really no performance benefits from all these new ram
    versions - especially the transition from DDR2 to DDR3 ?

    Giga Guy, Mar 13, 2009