    Thank you in Advance

    Merci a l'Avance

    Martin

    Martin Racette, Aug 2, 2005

  2. Martin Racette

    S.Heenan Guest

    DDR has 184 pins.

    You can use either PC3200 and PC4000 in a board designed for DDR.

    DDR2 has 240 pins. It can not be used in place of DDR.

    Most new Intel boards use DDR2.

    S.Heenan, Aug 2, 2005

  3. Martin Racette

    GT Guest

    The speed rating of a memory module is its tested maximum. It can go slower
    and might even go faster, but cannot be guaranteed stable if run over its
    rated speed. Its like a car that is claimed to do 120MPH. It doesn't have to
    go flat out. It might go faster (down hill with following wind), but you
    might damage it.

    I think DDR2 is a different physical size though, so won't work.

    GT, Aug 2, 2005
  4. Martin Racette

    kony Guest

    You could use PC4000 DDR(1) modules, either running at
    PC3200 speed or at higher speed if your board supports it
    and is stable doing so. Typically only an aggressive
    overclocker would do so.

    DDR2 won't work in your board. Won't fit, because it
    wouldn't work if it did fit.

    The best performance is typically running at same clock rate
    as FSB, or in some cases the +33 async mode, and the lowest
    timings the modules and board support. So if your CPU and
    board dictate PC3200 memory speed, get modules with 2,2,2,5
    timings... though just because the module supports these
    timings, it doesn't necessarily mean the board would be
    stable, and shouldn't use them anyway if you also have other
    modules with slower timings installed simultaneously.

    kony, Aug 2, 2005
  5. Martin Racette

    DaveW Guest

    You CANNOT use DDR2 modules in a DDR socket.

    DaveW, Aug 3, 2005