Memory upgrade on an aging Thinkpad 600

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Sriram Karra, May 13, 2005.

  1. Sriram Karra

    Sriram Karra Guest

    I have an old Thinkpad 600 with 224 MB RAM that I have not used in a
    while, but will be needing shortly. Sarge installed nicely on it, and
    all is well, almost.

    The machine occasfonally gets stuck after the bootup memory test. I
    could get it to bootup after removing one of the memory DIMMs; looks
    like fault memory. I thought I would take this oppurtunity to jack up
    the memory on the machine.

    My questions are:

    1. The IBM manuals and support websites say the maximum supported
    memory on the Thinpad 600 is 288 MB. Is that an absolute hardware
    limit? I mean, if I add a 256MB 512MB dimm in addition to the 128
    I already have, will it or will it not recognize the additional
    memory?

    2. The memory that came with my box is PC66. Now, getting this stuff
    has been a little difficult (add to it the fact that I am not in
    the US). Some local vendors claim adding a PC400 SODIMM is
    'backwards compatible' and will work fine. I would like to confirm
    that opinion.

    Thanks,
    -Sriram.

    Sriram Karra, May 13, 2005

  2. Sriram Karra

    JHEM Guest

    It will recognize the memory on BOOT, but it won't use it and will usually
    freeze up in Windows. Some of the very early 600 machines are limited to
    256MB total RAM.
    You _must_ use PC66 memory in the early 600 series machines. Most of the
    600E series machines can use PC100 lo-density memory up to 256MB per slot.

    No, PC400 memory wouldn't work.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, May 13, 2005

  3. I have a 600e that started doing the same thing. Like you, I thought
    it was the DIMM, but when I swapped another DIMM into the vacant slot,
    my machine still would't boot right. Everything works fine if I keep
    that DIMM slot empty. Before you buy another, make sure the problem
    really is the DIMM and not something else.

    Garglemonster, May 13, 2005
  4. Sriram Karra

    Sriram Karra Guest

    Thanks for that tip. I'll check that first :)

    -Sriram.

    Sriram Karra, May 16, 2005
  5. Sriram Karra

    Sriram Karra Guest

    Thanks for those tips, James; appreciate it.

    -Sriram.

    Sriram Karra, May 16, 2005