Memory usage, PIII vs P4 or portable vs desktop, or ......

Discussion in 'Dell' started by John Fryatt, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. John Fryatt

    John Fryatt Guest

    Hi,

    This is, I'm assuming, not a Dell question as such, but as both machines
    happen to be Dells, here I am... ;-)

    I have been monitoring memory usage on two PCs to gather info. re. a RAM
    upgrade, and found discrepancies in the amount of memory amodule takes
    on two PCs.

    1) Dell Dimension 8300, P4 3GHz, 1GB RAM
    2) Dell Latitude CPxJ, PIII 750MHz, 512MB RAM

    If I run task manager and look at the processes tab, on each machine,
    they show that similar processes are using different amounts of memory.

    Examples
    avgcc.exe uses 10,860K on the Dimension, and 9,500K on the Latitude
    zlclient.exe 3,196 2,820
    services.exe 3,136 2,936
    taskmgr.exe 4,396 3,548

    avgcc.exe is part of the AVG anti-virus package and I'd assume that it
    would use the same amount of memory on any machine. That assumption is
    wrong, obviously, but why should that be?

    Any thoughts?

    Regards, John

    John Fryatt, Mar 14, 2005

  2. John Fryatt

    Ben Myers Guest

    Which operating systems are you running? Possibly AVG takes up more memory on
    one OS version than the other. Possibly AVG configures itself to use more
    memory when the system has more available.

    If you want to experiment a bit, remove 512MB from the Dimension 8300 and see
    how much memory AVG consumes... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 14, 2005

  3. John Fryatt

    John Fryatt Guest

    Ah, yes good point. Both run Windows XP Pro.

    I actually only gave AVG as an example - every process shown takes more
    memory on the Dimension/P4 machine than the Latitude/PIII.

    Unfortunately I can't take 512MB out of the Dimension. Memory has to be
    installed in pairs of DImms and I have 2x 512MB.

    John

    John Fryatt, Mar 14, 2005
  4. John Fryatt

    Ben Myers Guest

    Work expands to fill the time available. Software expands to fill the memory
    available. That's the way it is with Windows... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 14, 2005
  5. John Fryatt

    Tom Scales Guest

    I don't remember the particulars, but I believe the difference is the
    architecture of the P3 vs. the P4.

    I seem to remember that the P4 forces applications to full word (32-bit)
    boundaries as often as possible for the purpose of efficiency. I believe the
    P3 does so less often. So, the P4 sacrifices memory for performance.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 14, 2005
  6. John Fryatt

    John Fryatt Guest

    I haven't found a definitive answer to this, but it seems to be tied in
    to the amount of memory available and how Windows decides to allocate
    memory to processes, page stuff in/out etc.
    To really understand I think a lot more erading is needed, along with an
    ice-pack for my brain, so I'll probably leave it there.

    John Fryatt, Mar 15, 2005