    real problem with my system. Original memtest author seems to think
    it's a big deal (test 5 errors), but he appears to have stopped
    developing his program a long time ago.

    j_zatch, Sep 16, 2006

  2. j_zatch

    Bill Guest

    If you're getting memory errors, check the voltage ratings for your old
    memory (vdimm). It may need a slight boost.

    I had problems with my OCZ memory until I discovered they like to be run
    above default voltage settings.

    You can also use Prime95 to test stability of your CPU and memory.

    Bill, Sep 16, 2006

  3. j_zatch

    Wes Newell Guest

    So when you go to the store, do you buy your meat by the pound and use the
    gold standard pound? I kind of doubt it. Why would you put up with what
    OCZ did to you? They warranteed it to work at certain specs and it
    doesn't. I'd send the crap back. But thanks, I'll be sure and never buy
    OCZ ram.

    Wes Newell, Sep 16, 2006
  4. j_zatch

    j_zatch Guest

    I downloaded the last version of memtest86 ver 3.2 and tried that
    after the memtest86+ worked.

    ver 3.2 ran without errors for 14 hours at cas 3 and 2.7 volts.

    dropping the voltage to 2.6 volts, got immediate test 5 errors.

    I put it back to 2.7 volts and have been running just test 5 for an
    hour and a half now with no errors.

    Will probably run it at 2.8 volts to give it a bit of headroom.

    Bottom line, update your old memtest86 CD's if you're upgrading your
    motherboard ;)

    j_zatch, Sep 17, 2006
  5. j_zatch

    DRS Guest

    [...]
    Don't. The rule with RAM is to give it just as much voltage as it needs to
    run stably and no more. It's too easy to fry.

    DRS, Sep 17, 2006
  6. j_zatch

    j_zatch Guest

    It's Mushkin. It "should" handle 2.8v.

    However, you have a good point. This ram ran fine in an old VIA
    chipset motherboard at 2.5 volts, 1T command rate, even though it
    was likely designed for P4 motherboards.

    I may put it back in the VIA, or just throw in the towel and run
    512M, or buy a Gig stick if I find a good deal.

    These guys seem a little too fussy in this motherboard. I played
    around with the positions, and they work fine one way, but fails
    test 5 when I swap the sticks around.

    j_zatch, Sep 17, 2006
  7. j_zatch

    Bill Guest

    Don't be silly. If the chips can handle 3.0v it won't hurt to run them
    at 2.8v.

    Overclocking RAM is another story, but running memory at or below their
    highest voltage rating is perfectly acceptable.

    Bill, Sep 18, 2006
  8. j_zatch

    Bill Guest

    Wow...rough day there Wes?

    Bad dimebag?

    Wife leave you?

    Snot running down your nose?
    Umm...because.

    Hey, too much rye with your coke?
    Actually it does work to SPD specs.

    But you know that...
    Yeah...oky doky...smoke another one and get back to the real world when
    you're more stable.

    If someone is being a sockpuppet...ignore the above.

    If not...byte me.

    :)

    Bill, Sep 18, 2006
  9. j_zatch

    DRS Guest

    I wasn't being silly. The OP didn't specify the RAM's type and most DDR
    doesn't like 2.8v.

    DRS, Sep 18, 2006
  10. j_zatch

    j_zatch Guest

    OK, sorry...

    It's mushkin 512M pc4000. the old version that was originally for
    P4's. I pulled out the old spec sheet for it. And Mushkin rates the
    voltage range as: 2.5-2.8 volts. Not bad.

    Here's some interesting specs, but I don't know what they mean:

    voltage on any pin relative to VSS VIN, VOUT: -0.5 ~ 3.6v
    voltage on VDD relative to VSS VDD: -0.5 ~ 3.6v
    voltage on VDDQ relative to VSS VDDQ: -0.5 ~ 3.6v

    power dissipation (PD): 8W

    Those 3.6v numbers look encouraging, though they aren't the rated
    voltage spec (2.5-2.8v).

    j_zatch, Sep 24, 2006