memtest86 reporting memory error

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by DevilsPGD, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    I just purchased a new motherboard, CPU, and video card, built the
    system, ran memtest86 and I'm getting memory errors.

    I purchased:
    Athlon X64 3000+ CPU
    Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
    Radeon X550
    P180 Case

    From my old system I scavenged:
    Antec NeoPower 480W power supply
    2xWD Raptor 36.7GB
    1xSeagate 400GB
    4xKingston 512MB PC3200 400MHz
    1xSound Blaster Audigy 2 Live
    2xDVD drives

    I let memtest86 run for over a dozen passes on the old system within the
    last month or so after I shuffled some RAM around, so I tend to suspect
    that the RAM is good, but I'm not really sure where to start
    troubleshooting the new system.

    I'm thinking my first step should be to try removing all but one stick,
    and if that doesn't show any problems, try that one stick in each slot
    and see if I can narrow it down to a slot. If not, try each piece of
    RAM in the first slot and see if I can identify a piece of RAM.

    Am I missing anything obvious or is that the way to go?

    DevilsPGD, Oct 6, 2005

  2. DevilsPGD

    spodosaurus Guest

    Could be the new motherboard doesn't play nicely with your particular
    RAM modules or the board could just be defective. That's happened to me
    once in the last year where any known good RAM I put in a new board
    tested bad. Swapped the board and all was well.

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus, Oct 6, 2005

  3. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <4345023b$> spodosaurus
    Swapping the board will be tough, I picked up the last one in stock, and
    I'm rather impatient when it comes to new toys :)

    Did you swap with the same model? In other words, was it a bad board,
    or should I be expecting to change to a different brand or something?

    I was originally eyeballing a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-SLI, it's almost
    identical to the Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI that I got, but the GA-K8NXP-SLI
    has DPS and a wireless LAN card for the same price. I haven't been able
    to find much information about whether or not I should care about DPS,
    and although I'm not using the wireless LAN card right now, it's a nice
    freebie.

    DevilsPGD, Oct 6, 2005
  4. I'd also suggest using the latest 1.65 version of Memtest86+

    Richard Dower, Oct 6, 2005
  5. DevilsPGD

    spodosaurus Guest

    If that model of board doesn't like your RAM, then yes, be expecting to
    change brands. Also, if you got the last one in stock, you don't have
    much choice, do you? You've set all the BIOS settings for the DRAM to
    the most conservative ones prior to testing, right?

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus, Oct 6, 2005
  6. What brand of chips are on those Kingston modules? All of my DDR
    Kingston ValueRAM modules have no-name chips on them, and I've found
    lots of ValueRam to be defective or incompatible with certain mobos,
    and few can be overclocked reliably at all. Also it's taken as long as
    4-5 hours for MemTest86 to find some errors, and I test with Gold
    Memory as well because it's usually a lot faster at detecting errors.
    But use both diagnostics because my last Kingston, a 512M PC3200,
    passed Gold for hours but consistently failed MemTest86 in a few
    minutes.

    larry moe 'n curly, Oct 6, 2005
  7. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <>
    I'm using the HyperX modules, which have heatsinks and I can't really
    view the chips easily.

    However, it's worth noting that they've been up for many months in my
    old P4 system and have had memtest86 run many times without problems.

    DevilsPGD, Oct 6, 2005
  8. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <di33v4$6r7$> "Richard Dower"
    http://www.memtest86.com/ has 3.2 as the latest -- Am I misunderstanding
    something?

    DevilsPGD, Oct 6, 2005
  9. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <434514f1$> spodosaurus
    My second choice was almost identical, but doesn't have DPS or 802.11b/g
    (which is just a PCI card, but it's still a nice freebie), but it's
    exactly the same brand, chipset, physical layout, everything, so it
    might not be any better.

    I haven't changed the RAM settings at all, everything is left at the
    BIOS defaults, except that I disabled some of the onboard peripherals
    that I don't use.

    I might play around with the RAM settings and see if that makes a
    difference. I don't overclock, so I'm not really well versed (although
    I've read enough that I know most of the terms and have a general idea
    of what they mean, I just don't have much personal experience)

    DevilsPGD, Oct 6, 2005

  10. Yes, there is a much more recent version, http://www.memtest.org/

    Memtest86+ is based on Memtest86 but more current and adds more features and
    compatiability.

    Richard Dower, Oct 6, 2005
  11. DevilsPGD

    JAD Guest

    Why did you run that POS software in the first place? Were you having
    problems with the machine and that's what prompted you to attempt
    troubleshooting?

    JAD, Oct 6, 2005
  12. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <JHb1f.288$> "JAD"
    Point of sale software? Okay, bad joke..

    But seriously, why not? -- I don't know about you, but I consider it a
    problem if my RAM is returning different bytes then my system is
    storing. If nothing else, it makes debugging software a bitch.
    It's one of the things I usually do after building a new machine, part
    of an informal "stress test" of sorts. No specific problems that I can
    attribute to RAM, although I have had a couple lockups (which have gone
    away after a BIOS upgrade)

    DevilsPGD, Oct 6, 2005
  13. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <di3bo9$a8v$> "Richard Dower"
    Ahh, I should have realized the plus meant something and wasn't just a
    typo :) Downloading now...

    Thanks!

    DevilsPGD, Oct 6, 2005
  14. I would suggest using manual memory settings.

    You haven't identified what CPU core you have. If you have a Venice core
    CPU it uses an improved integrated memory controller on the CPU die that
    will allow all 4 DIMMs to run at 400MHz, although you may have to reduce the
    Command Rate to 2T to achieve stability.

    Older AMD Athlon 64 CPU cores' (e.g. Newcastle, Winchester) memory
    controllers required underclocking the RAM to 333MHz if all four RAM slots
    were being used.

    Homer J. Simpson, Oct 6, 2005
  15. DevilsPGD

    JAD Guest

    I C. Interesting test case this will be. Please follow up with the out
    come.

    JAD, Oct 7, 2005
  16. DevilsPGD

    Shep© Guest

    If this is a new system and you have bought good equipment why did you
    run a software,"Memory" tester?

    Have you built many systems?

    Have you bought the correct type of devices for your system/mother
    board?

    Have you researched any known incompatibilities for the mother board?

    Have you correctly set the BIOS parameters for the devices you are
    using?

    Have you correctly positioned your PCI devices for the motherboard.

    The above is just a starter.

    HTH :)

    Shep©, Oct 7, 2005
  17. Why do you keep criticizing memory test programs without showing any
    proof to justify your opinion? Even SIMMtester.com, a maker of memory
    testing machiens, says that MemTest86 is very good.

    larry moe 'n curly, Oct 7, 2005
  18. DevilsPGD

    TonyC Guest

    What is your problem with MemTest? DFI seem to think it's good enough to
    have in the BIOS of nForce4 boards.

    TonyC, Oct 7, 2005
  19. What does JAD put in the BIOSes he/she/it writes?

    Norm De Plume, Oct 7, 2005
  20. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <Rai1f.603$> "JAD"
    So, was I having problems with the machine? As it turns out, a number
    of problems fixed themselves when I managed to tweak things enough that
    memtest86+ stopped reporting errors.

    Among them:

    -The system would go to a black screen after shutting down rather then
    rebooting when requested.
    -The system would not come out of Standby.
    -DLL errors whenever launching certain network-related applications
    (dig, host, psservice, and a few others)
    -Lockups when attempting to ipconfig/release (but /renew was fine if I
    didn't /release first)
    -Bluescreen when attempting to launch a recovery console from boot CD.
    -Bluescreen when attempting to boot a known-good BartPE CD.

    All of these issues disappeared once I fixed the memory issue. When I
    reverted to my previous settings, the issues returned, so yes, they were
    memory related, and yes, memtest86+ did point me in the right direction
    since I was initially assuming a driver incompatibility.

    DevilsPGD, Oct 8, 2005