memtest86 reporting memory error

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by DevilsPGD, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Shep©
    Why wouldn't I? I would seriously question the competency of any system
    builder who doesn't perform burn-in testing on assembled hardware before
    shipping it. I don't test my own systems as thoroughly as a system I'm
    planning on selling since I'll tend to notice any weirdness once I'm up
    and running, but I do test some of the basics.

    Also, not all of the system was new, as I indicated in my original post,
    I scavenged the RAM, hard drives, and a sound card from my old system
    (as well as some USB peripherals), but all of the hardware was
    known-good since most of it has been operating nonstop for 18 months.
    More then I can count.
    Yes indeed.
    I left most things at defaults, unless specifically instructed.
    Indeed. Only two PCI slots, and only one PCI card, and the only advice
    in the documentation anywhere was to place the sound card as far away
    from the video card, CPU, etc, as possible to avoid possible distortion.
    I followed that advice.
    Indeed.

    DevilsPGD, Oct 8, 2005

  2. DevilsPGD

    JAD Guest

    So in regards to the 'memory' error, the only thing that was 'wrong' with
    the memory was the timings settings in the bIOS, and this you had to figure
    out yourself, as memtest86 just said there was an error.

    JAD, Oct 9, 2005

  3. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <x4g2f.3478$> "JAD"
    However, without the ability to test focusing on RAM alone, I'd never be
    able to confirm if the settings were entirely correct or not, whether
    the instability I was seeing was RAM related, or due to another driver.

    Now, memtest86 did not magically fix anything, but it doesn't claim to
    do so, so that's not a surprise. It's a diagnostic tool, it did it's
    job, reported and error, and allowed me to confirm when I'd fixed the
    error.

    Oh yeah, and I'm at 100% stability since then :)

    DevilsPGD, Oct 10, 2005
  4. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <uoh1f.97770$oW2.30746@pd7tw1no> "Homer J. Simpson"
    I'd like to go on record by saying thanks to everyone for their input,
    it's much appreciated!

    DevilsPGD, Oct 15, 2005