    The above was tweeted by Tim Cook.

    The longer version: (better in my opinion)

    Very classy and really capture christmas as a family

    JF Mezei, Dec 18, 2013

  2. JF Mezei

    John Guest

    Yeah, but even the biggest, most fashionable and presumably least
    vulnerable company on the planet can't bring itself to *mention* the
    filthy "C" word.
    Can't annoy the non-Christians, now can we?

    Well ... it aint going to snow where I am. At least I sincerely hope
    it won't because I hate, loath and detest the horrible stuff. I love
    kids (they're delicious curried) but I can't stand children, all noise
    and "me,me,me" and snot. Crinklies, especially sloppy sentimental ones
    that get too merry on the sherry should be left out in the snows of
    Lapland for the wolves (hey, everyone deserves a Christmas feast) and
    that irritating, whiny, obnoxious dirge of a female droning in the
    background was almost as appealing as a massed bag-pipe band with
    added church bells and a passing police siren.
    Couldn't they hire someone *cheerful* for Gondar's sake?
    Apart from that, the film was badly edited, had too much of the dog
    and was entirely lacking in direction, motivation and clear storyline.

    And, for those of us on our own this Winter, it wasn't much of a
    morale boosting exercise.

    As an incentive to buy Apple it's a great advert for Microsoft.

    I'm off to eat Bambi's mum. Fried. In a bap.
    J.

    John, Dec 18, 2013

  3. JF Mezei

    John Guest

    Leonard Cohen? Tom Waites? The Incarnation Of Death?
    And just to be clear, not one single family on this, or any other
    planet is *ever* going to be that cheery, happy, merry and totally
    Disneyfied, not without massive infusions of Grannie's Secret Recipe
    and other pharmaceuticals - and a series of very large cheques from
    the advertising company.
    It's for sure mine never was.
    Without vegetables. Vegetation is what food eats.
    J.

    John, Dec 18, 2013
  4. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    As a kid, I have memories of Christmas being cheery, happy, merry.

    The last few Christmas dinner I had before the family died and the
    leftover broke apart, it was akin to waking on egg shells with everyone
    affraid to not start arguments.

    So to me, those Apple videos do resonate because they do bring back
    memories of a time when Christmas was a joyous occasion.

    JF Mezei, Dec 18, 2013
  5. JF Mezei

    Lewis Guest

    It's more that the fanatical fundies have spent the last 20 years or so
    on their "keep the christ in christmas" crusade, completely ignoring
    that for the most part everything about christmas is now and ever has
    been secular (or pagan).

    Christmas traditions that have to do with christer faith:

    Going to church, many christmas carols.

    Christmas traditions that have nothing to do with christer faith:

    Presents, Tree, christmas Dinner, Yule Log, mulled wine, hot cider,
    lights, parties, mistletoe, celebrating a major religious holiday in the
    depths of winter, Stockings, gift-distributing spirit with naughty/nice
    list, and just about anything else you can think of that is associated
    with "christmas."

    Almost all the traditions pre-date christianity and come to us from the
    Celts, Romans, or Norse.

    The very placement of the mass in the middle of December (which would
    not be anywhere near the time any Jesus person would have been born,
    assuming there ever was such a person) was specifically to compete
    with/replace the Roman Saturnalia, so December 25th has absolutely
    nothing to do with christianity.

    So when the neighbor puts up a "keep the christ in christmas" sign in
    their yard along with a lighted up tree... well, ignorance is bliss, I
    suppose. I'm sure they don't know those lights are a prayer to the
    forest spirits to ensure the return of spring.

    Lewis, Dec 18, 2013
  6. JF Mezei

    George Kerby Guest

    Some people see the glass half empty...

    George Kerby, Dec 18, 2013
  7. Democrats see see the glass half full. Republicans see the glass as
    theirs. (Just joking.)

    Have a very merry and happy Christmas, George!

    And to everyone else, have a merry Christmas, hope you had a happy
    Chanukkah, happy Kwanza, good Yule, and then there's Festivus for the
    rest of us (although I don't fall into the "rest of us" category),
    whichever fits.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 18, 2013
  8. Hello Mr. Krampus.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 18, 2013
  9. JF Mezei

    J Burns Guest

    There's nothing about carols in the gospels. Church is mentioned only 3
    times, all in Matthew, a book to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Presents are mentioned 8 times, but gifts are mentioned 15. A tree is
    mentioned 46 times. "X" appears 142 times and "mas" 83. Light appears
    66 times. What should a Christian do after he lights his xmas tree?
    Wine appears 39 times.

    Santa doesn't appear, but Satan is mentioned 17 times. Back then, he
    was revered even though Job had found out he didn't always bring nice
    kids nice presents. If Peter and Paul and maligned you the way they
    maligned Satan, you, too, would have changed your name to Santa.
    There's no December in the gospels, but May appears 95 times. Spring,
    Winter, and Summer each appear 3 times, but Fall appears 26. The fact
    that May is now in the Spring, shows how much seasonal creep occurred
    during the 754 years of the Julian calendar.

    J Burns, Dec 18, 2013
  10. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    Any misunderstood teenager with a big budget can make mommy cry, right?
    I prefer the Budweiser horse:

    Warren Oates, Dec 18, 2013
  11. JF Mezei

    Fred Moore Guest

    Actually, the Ascention of Christmas goes back farther than than.
    According to the historical record, Christmas was a very minor
    observance until Charles Dickens published A Christmas Carol in 1843 and
    several other works using the yule tide season. His laudable goal was to
    bring attention to the plight of the poor, not sell more XBoxes and and
    beer.
    Yes, but let's go back to the REAL reason for the season, the tilt of
    the earth's axis and the winter (northern hemisphere) solstice.

    Happy Solstice, Each and Every One!
    Depressing, isn't it. Scripture clearly states that Jesus was a
    Communist peacenik, not a CRAPitalist warrior. <sigh>

    Fred Moore, Dec 18, 2013
  12. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    I've spent Christmases alone (very poor, pretty rich, and in-between)
    and with big crowds, and with one other person and I've always enjoyed
    Christmas. And I'm an atheist. I make fun of the Chia pets and the silly
    mommy-needs-a-heart-transplant-and-daddy-needs-to-take-his-meds teevee
    shows, and that ol' lady that claps her hands an the lights go out (if
    that ol' lady's still alive, she'll be 140 years old by now). I like
    the lights and the snow and the presents and everyone wandering about
    saying "Merry Christmas" and drinking too much and so on. And the days
    get dark and then they start getting lighter (hold on, now, I think I'm
    having an epipha ... no, it's gone).

    So:
    One day a florist went to a barber for a haircut. After the cut, he
    pulled out his wallet to pay, and the barber replied, 'I cannot accept
    money from you, I'm doing community service this week.' The florist was
    pleased and left the shop. When the barber went to open his shop the
    next morning, there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen roses waiting for
    him at his door. Later, a cop comes in for a haircut, and when he tries
    to pay his bill, the barber again replied, 'I cannot accept money from
    you, I'm doing community service this week.' The cop was happy and left
    the shop. The next morning when the barber went to open up, there was a
    'thank you' card and a dozen doughnuts waiting for him at his door. Then
    a Canadian senator came in for a haircut, and when he tried to pay his
    bill, the barber again replied, 'I cannot accept money from you. I'm
    doing community service this week.' The Canadian senator was very happy
    and left the shop. The next morning, when the barber went to open up,
    there were a dozen Canadian senators lined up waiting for a free haircut.

    Warren Oates, Dec 18, 2013
  13. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    I reckon that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Warren Oates, Dec 18, 2013
  14. JF Mezei

    Davoud Guest

    JF Mezei:
    Doesn't using the theme song "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
    constitute a mention of Christmas?

    Can't miss one little opportunity to shove our superstitions into the
    faces of rational people, can we?

    Davoud, Dec 18, 2013
  15. JF Mezei

    George Kerby Guest

    Likewise Michelle and 'most' everyone else in here (you know who you are
    ;-).

    And a prosperous New year as well.

    May all of you find the new Mac Pro under the tree, or whatever you might
    wish for...

    George Kerby, Dec 18, 2013
  16. JF Mezei

    George Kerby Guest

    Yeah! That one is absolutely a WINNER! Got something in my eye...

    George Kerby, Dec 18, 2013
  17. JF Mezei

    George Kerby Guest

    They learned that from their counterparts to the south...

    George Kerby, Dec 18, 2013
  18. I hope to find the new Mac Pro under the new desk that I wish for.

    Speaking of the Mac Pro, it goes on sale tomorrow.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 18, 2013
  19. JF Mezei

    George Kerby Guest

    You're kidding! You would hide that beautiful example of form and function
    UNDER your desk?

    Not to mention the dust and shed of any household mammals...

    George Kerby, Dec 18, 2013
  20. That's where I hope to find it, not where I would use it. After
    unboxing it, I would give it a place of honor on that new desk.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 18, 2013