    Davoud:
    What does that have to do with the early 21st century? Do you know how
    to pronounce "ye" in "ye olde?"

    Davoud, Dec 21, 2013

  2. JF Mezei

    Lewis Guest

    ooooo! Excellent!

    Lewis, Dec 21, 2013

  3. JF Mezei

    John Guest

    "th".
    Do I get a pressie?
    J.

    ps: yes, but I just had to show off. Poking fun does not imply
    complete ignorance. Partial, perhaps.

    John, Dec 21, 2013
  4. JF Mezei

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    I hate it when that happens... (g)

    Kurt Ullman, Dec 21, 2013
  5. JF Mezei

    George Kerby Guest

    And they should not be placed as "possessive" when not intended as such, as
    well.

    George Kerby, Dec 21, 2013
  6. JF Mezei

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:
    Definitely a star on the Arcane Knowledge Walk of Fame.

    Davoud, Dec 22, 2013
  7. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    .... and Ryan Gosling. Oh, and a bit of Keanu Reeves.

    Warren Oates, Dec 22, 2013
  8. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Do Jews feel guilty about saying "Rosh Hashannah" or Passover ?

    Do muslims feel guilty about saying Ramandan, (and the feast at end Eid
    al Fitr) or Hajj ?

    Why should Christians feel guilty about using Merry Christmas ?

    The "politically correct" debate about whether it is OK to use "Merry
    Christmas" is about as silly as a scenario where majority oe men wear
    boxers, but because a minority wear briefs, you can't say "boxers".

    JF Mezei, Dec 22, 2013
  9. JF Mezei

    Your Name Guest

    Personally I would never wear "boxers" ... have you seen the way they
    punch each other in the boxing ring?? ;-)

    Your Name, Dec 23, 2013
  10. JF Mezei

    gtr Guest

    It's more respectful to spell it "Ramadan"
    They shouldn't, and fortunately they don't.
    I didn't realize that Fox had "boxers" in their sites now.

    Fox does their best to invent politically divisive controversies. In
    this case they succeeded in convincing their viewership of this bogus
    "war on Xmas" horseshit. But it really just served to stink things up
    for everybody.

    My wife pointed out in Macy's that a number of chain stores we've
    visited over the past week, the usual barking of "Season's Greeings" or
    "Happy Holidays", has been dropped altogether, because Fox has managed
    to effectively posit this as the aetheist version of "Merry Secular
    Godlessness", since there's no Jesus or Christ in it. Instead clerks
    say "Hi", "Can I help you", or "Good afternoon". I hadn't noticed till
    she pointed it out. Then I noticed it everywhere.

    At the beginning of Fox's war, I started responding to "Merry
    Christmas" with "Happy Hannukah", which produced a confused look and
    "But, I'm not Jewish." To which I responded, "And I'm not Christian".
    Then, thoroughly dissatisfied we both went our own way grumbling, with
    Lord Ailes' stench upon the season. I realized I was doing Fox's
    malevolent bidding.

    Now I have a very simple approach that avoids their fabricated war and
    makes me, and the well-wisher feel good. Perhaps you've seen this handy
    chart on appropriate seasonal responses:

    http://grab.by/t4jM

    gtr, Dec 23, 2013
  11. JF Mezei

    Lewis Guest

    That seems reasonable.
    That seems odd. I'd never respond to Happy <fill in random holiday> with
    anything but a "Thank you" or "You too." Anything else seems a bit rude.
    I admit, I'd be brought up a bit short if someone wished me a Happy
    Kwanza since as far as I can tell, that is a holiday that only exists in
    TVLand.

    Now, among some of my friends "Happy Bastille Day" may provoke a
    response of "and a Happy Jerry Ford Day to you too" but that was just
    college silliness.
    Do you live somewhere where Jews are exceedingly rare?
    Right.

    Lewis, Dec 23, 2013
  12. JF Mezei

    gtr Guest

    I don't have stats on SoCal's Orange County. I don't think so. Roughly
    half my friends are Jewish, but I'm sure that's not the general profile
    of my somewhere.

    gtr, Dec 23, 2013
  13. JF Mezei

    Your Name Guest

    Try this version from the old UK comedy show "Yes Minister" ...

    I wonder if I might crave your momentary indulgence in
    order to discharge a by no means disagreeable obligation
    which has, over the years, become more or less established
    practice in government service as we approach the terminal
    period of the year - calendar, of course, not financial -
    in fact, not to put too fine a point on it, Week Fifty-One
    - and submit to you, with all appropriate deference, for
    your consideration at a convenient juncture, a sincere and
    sanguine expectation - indeed confidence - indeed one
    might go so far as to say hope - that the aforementioned
    period may be, at the end of the day, when all relevant
    factors have been taken into consideration, susceptible to
    being deemed to be such as to merit a final verdict of
    having been by no means unsatisfactory in its overall
    outcome and, in the final analysis, to give grounds for
    being judged, on mature reflection, to have been conducive
    to generating a degree of gratification which will be seen
    in retrospect to have been significantly higher than the
    general average.

    Your Name, Dec 23, 2013
  14. JF Mezei

    Lewis Guest

    No, I wouldn't think SoCal would have a dearth of Jews. Oh well, people
    are strange.

    It occurred to me that I often respond to "Merry Christmas" with "Happy
    New Year."

    Lewis, Dec 23, 2013
  15. JF Mezei

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Nice but some tweaks on the date references mightr make it more appropriate
    for Thanksgiving.

    Tom Stiller, Dec 23, 2013
  16. JF Mezei

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I'm pretty sure that nonsense has been around longer than Fox News.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    You're all individuals!
    Yes, we're all individuals!
    You're all different!
    Yes, we are all different!
    I'm not!
    ("Life of Brian")

    Wes Groleau, Dec 24, 2013
  17. JF Mezei

    gtr Guest

    Certainly the "Xmas isn't what it used to be" or the "Xmas has been
    commercialized" and all that stuff. But making it a war by godless
    secularists against defenseless Christianity? I'm pretty sure Fox owns
    it. The first I heard of a "war on Xmas" was when it became branded by
    O'Reilly around 2004:

    http://thismodernworld.com

    gtr, Dec 24, 2013