    Could someone please tell me why I only see a couple of days of messages? I
    put an entry in group on 8/2/2004 and now I don't see it.
    Thanks.

    Charles E. Patterson, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Charles E. Patterson

    Apollo Guest

    The only thing I can think of is; Tools > Options > Mantenance tab and
    increase the number of days before news messages are deleted.

    Apollo, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Charles E. Patterson

    patrickp Guest

    It can depend a lot on the provider you get your news service from.
    Different servers have different retention times (the time they will
    keep posts available), although text-based groups like this are
    generally kept on most servers for a fair while.

    It's also possible the server you use has had some kind of hiccough,
    which has caused it to lose some of its content.

    Generally, unless your post contains offensive or other non-permitted
    material (i.e. file attachments in a group that doesn't allow them),
    in which case it may be removed at source, the loss of your posts is
    down to the local server you use. Might be a good idea to look for
    alternatives.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Aug 4, 2004
  4. I did some research based on the previous replies. I found that my news
    server is the problem with a very short retention time. Might someone have
    a suggestion of another news server that I could get on that has
    'reasonable' retention times?
    Thanks.

    Charles E. Patterson, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Charles E. Patterson

    Wes Newell Guest

    Must be something else. I've never heard of a server that only keeps
    messages for 2 days. Let me see how far mine goes back... I got over
    10,000 messages back to Jan. of this year.

    Wes Newell, Aug 4, 2004
  6. Charles E. Patterson

    Bert Root Guest

    Prior to the stampede Charles E. Patterson tryped
    Go and register here. Good retention and free text server access.

    http://news.individual.net/

    Enjoy!

    Bert Root, Aug 4, 2004
  7. Charles E. Patterson

    Stephen Guest

    It's either your news reader or your news server or both.

    Stephen

    Stephen, Aug 5, 2004
  8. Charles E. Patterson

    patrickp Guest

    I'll second that; I'm using news.individual.net myself.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Aug 5, 2004
  9. Charles E. Patterson, Aug 5, 2004