Messages vs iMessage

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Otto Pylot, May 25, 2014.

  1. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    Having made the jump from 10.7.5 to 10.9.3, bypassing 10.8 al together,
    it appears that I've missed a few features that are probably old news
    to some of you, so please bare with me.

    If I send a Message to someone from my MB Air, and they reply to that
    message, how do I get the message to go to my iPhone if the Air is
    shutdown so I don't miss the response. I'm not so concerned about
    sending iMesages from the iPhone because I'll always hear the "ding"
    and respond to it. If I don't open an iMessage on my phone, will it
    then appear, with Notification, on the Air? Thanks.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. Please respond to:
    replacing invalid with sonic.
     
    Otto Pylot, May 25, 2014
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. In article <250520141049224243%>, Otto Pylot
    <> wrote:

    > Having made the jump from 10.7.5 to 10.9.3, bypassing 10.8 al together,
    > it appears that I've missed a few features that are probably old news
    > to some of you, so please bare with me.
    >
    > If I send a Message to someone from my MB Air, and they reply to that
    > message, how do I get the message to go to my iPhone if the Air is
    > shutdown so I don't miss the response. I'm not so concerned about
    > sending iMesages from the iPhone because I'll always hear the "ding"
    > and respond to it. If I don't open an iMessage on my phone, will it
    > then appear, with Notification, on the Air? Thanks.


    Register the same email addresses (and iPhone phone number) on all your
    devices, and its automatic.
     
    Michelle Steiner, May 25, 2014
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Otto Pylot

    Davoud Guest

    Otto Pylot:

    > Having made the jump from 10.7.5 to 10.9.3, bypassing 10.8 al together,
    > it appears that I've missed a few features that are probably old news
    > to some of you, so please bare with me.


    I would be happy to help if I could, but there is no way I am getting
    naked with you :)

    --
    I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
    you will say in your entire life.

    usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
     
    Davoud, May 25, 2014
    #3
  4. Otto Pylot

    JF Mezei Guest

    On 14-05-25 14:44, Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > Register the same email addresses (and iPhone phone number) on all your
    > devices, and its automatic.



    I recently plugged in my old iPhone4 for its semi annual "keep alive"
    recharge.

    once the thing booted up, I got a notification on my active iPhone5s
    that imessages/facetime had switched to the 4. (note that the 4 didn't
    have a valid SIM, but would connect to the in-house Wi-Fi).

    When I turned off the 4, there was no notification that "control" had
    returned to the 5 for the i-things.

    Would it be correct to state that the imessage/facetime things are
    directed to the device which last registered with Apple ? And that only
    one device was active at a time ?

    When the current device is turned off, does control return automatically
    to the last previously activated device if it is still there ?
     
    JF Mezei, May 25, 2014
    #4
  5. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    In article <250520141450531240%>, Davoud <>
    wrote:

    > Otto Pylot:
    >
    > > Having made the jump from 10.7.5 to 10.9.3, bypassing 10.8 al together,
    > > it appears that I've missed a few features that are probably old news
    > > to some of you, so please bare with me.

    >
    > I would be happy to help if I could, but there is no way I am getting
    > naked with you :)


    You're such a tease ;-)

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. Please respond to:
    replacing invalid with sonic.
     
    Otto Pylot, May 25, 2014
    #5
  6. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    In article <53824737$0$49306$c3e8da3$>, JF
    Mezei <> wrote:

    > On 14-05-25 14:44, Michelle Steiner wrote:
    >
    > > Register the same email addresses (and iPhone phone number) on all your
    > > devices, and its automatic.

    >
    >
    > I recently plugged in my old iPhone4 for its semi annual "keep alive"
    > recharge.
    >
    > once the thing booted up, I got a notification on my active iPhone5s
    > that imessages/facetime had switched to the 4. (note that the 4 didn't
    > have a valid SIM, but would connect to the in-house Wi-Fi).
    >
    > When I turned off the 4, there was no notification that "control" had
    > returned to the 5 for the i-things.
    >
    > Would it be correct to state that the imessage/facetime things are
    > directed to the device which last registered with Apple ? And that only
    > one device was active at a time ?
    >
    > When the current device is turned off, does control return automatically
    > to the last previously activated device if it is still there ?
    >


    I'm not sure. I think Michelle's is the correct answer tho. I had to
    consult with one of my daughter's and it appears that's the case. I'm
    not quite sure what the "Start New Conversations From" is all about but
    I put in my iPhone number. It would appear that if both devices are on
    (laptop and iPhone) that the reply notification will "ding" on which
    ever device the original message came from. IOW, if I send a Message
    via the Air to an iPhone, and get a response, the Notification box will
    register the message. Eventually, it will show up on the iPhone but
    without any any "dinging". The opposite is true as well. A bit
    confusing but that's what seems to be happening. If my Air is shutdown,
    which is is most of the time, then all messages, regardless of how they
    originate goes to my phone, which is what I want. Gotta love
    technology! Even tho it is a bit of a hassle. I'll probably just
    disable Messages over time once the novelty wears off and just rely on
    my phone.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. Please respond to:
    replacing invalid with sonic.
     
    Otto Pylot, May 25, 2014
    #6
  7. In article <53824737$0$49306$c3e8da3$>, JF
    Mezei <> wrote:

    > once the thing booted up, I got a notification on my active iPhone5s
    > that imessages/facetime had switched to the 4. (note that the 4 didn't
    > have a valid SIM, but would connect to the in-house Wi-Fi).


    they didn't switch to it; they were added to it, or it was added to
    them.
     
    Michelle Steiner, May 25, 2014
    #7
  8. In article <250520141301166882%>, Otto Pylot
    <> wrote:

    > I'm not sure. I think Michelle's is the correct answer tho. I had to
    > consult with one of my daughter's and it appears that's the case. I'm
    > not quite sure what the "Start New Conversations From" is all about but
    > I put in my iPhone number.


    It means the "From" address.

    > It would appear that if both devices are on (laptop and iPhone) that
    > the reply notification will "ding" on which ever device the original
    > message came from.


    It will notify you on whichever device has Messages active and
    frontmost. If none are, it will notify you on all of them.

    I have all my email addresses and my phone number registered with my
    iPad, iPhone, and iMac, so I'm notified by whichever one I'm closest
    to.
     
    Michelle Steiner, May 25, 2014
    #8
  9. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    In article <250520141320382898%>, Michelle Steiner
    <> wrote:

    > In article <250520141301166882%>, Otto Pylot
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure. I think Michelle's is the correct answer tho. I had to
    > > consult with one of my daughter's and it appears that's the case. I'm
    > > not quite sure what the "Start New Conversations From" is all about but
    > > I put in my iPhone number.

    >
    > It means the "From" address.
    >
    > > It would appear that if both devices are on (laptop and iPhone) that
    > > the reply notification will "ding" on which ever device the original
    > > message came from.

    >
    > It will notify you on whichever device has Messages active and
    > frontmost. If none are, it will notify you on all of them.
    >
    > I have all my email addresses and my phone number registered with my
    > iPad, iPhone, and iMac, so I'm notified by whichever one I'm closest
    > to.


    Thanks.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. Please respond to:
    replacing invalid with sonic.
     
    Otto Pylot, May 25, 2014
    #9
  10. Otto Pylot

    Lewis Guest

    In message <53824737$0$49306$c3e8da3$>
    JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > On 14-05-25 14:44, Michelle Steiner wrote:


    >> Register the same email addresses (and iPhone phone number) on all your
    >> devices, and its automatic.



    > I recently plugged in my old iPhone4 for its semi annual "keep alive"
    > recharge.


    > once the thing booted up, I got a notification on my active iPhone5s
    > that imessages/facetime had switched to the 4.


    That is not what the message said.

    > When I turned off the 4, there was no notification that "control" had
    > returned to the 5 for the i-things.


    Because "control" is something you invented.

    > Would it be correct to state that the imessage/facetime things are
    > directed to the device which last registered with Apple ?


    No.


    > And that only one device was active at a time ?


    No.

    --
    “If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you
    really make them think, they'll hate you.†― Don Marquis
     
    Lewis, May 26, 2014
    #10
  11. Otto Pylot

    Ant Guest

    On 5/25/2014 12:52 PM PT, Otto Pylot typed:

    >>> Having made the jump from 10.7.5 to 10.9.3, bypassing 10.8 al together,
    >>> it appears that I've missed a few features that are probably old news
    >>> to some of you, so please bare with me.

    >>
    >> I would be happy to help if I could, but there is no way I am getting
    >> naked with you :)

    >
    > You're such a tease ;-)


    Yeah, and Otto isn't a woman. I don't want to see naked guys. :p
    --
    "Wow, I haven't felt this powerful since I got to decide which ant lives
    and which ant dies. You shall battle to the death, and the winner will
    be given his freedom. Why are you looking at me like that?" --Peter;
    "Peter, would you like a glass of...? Oh, my God! I told you not to play
    God with those ants!" --Lois in Family Guy S12E16.
    /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    | |o o| |
    \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
    ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
    Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
     
    Ant, May 26, 2014
    #11
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Jerry Polyak

    OT: Outlook messages

    Jerry Polyak, Jul 30, 2003, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    498
    Jerry Polyak
    Jul 30, 2003
  2. Skid
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    438
    Jerry Polyak
    Sep 15, 2003
  3. Bob Davis
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    476
    dr_hardware
    Oct 19, 2003
  4. Wes Newell

    Fake messages from Wes Newell

    Wes Newell, Nov 25, 2003, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    486
    Job60
    Nov 27, 2003
  5. Charles E. Patterson

    Messages in this Newsgroup

    Charles E. Patterson, Aug 4, 2004, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    506
    Charles E. Patterson
    Aug 5, 2004
  6. Charles E. Patterson

    Messages in this Newsgroup

    Charles E. Patterson, Aug 10, 2004, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    382
    Charles E. Patterson
    Aug 10, 2004
  7. SorceryKid the goth-boi

    FSB-speed error messages with ABIT ST6-RAID?

    SorceryKid the goth-boi, Mar 1, 2005, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    874
    GinTonix
    Mar 2, 2005
  8. jethomas930

    cross-post issue: battery vs. motherboard

    jethomas930, Jun 16, 2010, in forum: Motherboard General Discussion
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    942
    jethomas930
    Jun 16, 2010
Loading...