$mft problem anyone?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by leia176, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. leia176

    leia176 Guest

    Does anyone know what's going on here? Please! Any ideas are appreciated!

    I had:
    Winxp updated to latest
    ABIT iT7 Max2 Ver 2.
    1gb Crucial ram
    2.4 gh intel
    Ati radeon 8500
    Soundblaster audigy 2
    2 ide drives
    2 sata drives

    I started getting "$MFT" errors (master file table?) first on one of my sata
    drives. Occasionally other drives. The sata port went out completely.
    Everytime this would happen I'd reboot and windows would go through this
    whole scan disk type thing recovering orphaned files.

    At first I thought the drive was bad, and then the port was bad, but it was
    happening on all my drives!

    Since that board definitely had a bad port I went for an:

    Win XP updated to latest
    ASUS P4p800 deluxe
    used an old ati rage videocard just for installing
    no sound yet
    2 ide drives
    2 sata drives

    SAME THING IS HAPPENING! I even lost data on one of the sata drives I
    transferred over.

    Are all my drives going bad at once? They are all pretty new..within a year
    old.

    Could this possibly be a ram or cpu problem?

    leia176, Mar 6, 2004

  2. leia176

    leia176 Guest

    I'm using the same cpu , ram , ps and drives for the new setup

    leia176, Mar 6, 2004

  3. [snip]

    Might be a memory problem.
    http://www.memtest.org/

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Mar 6, 2004
  4. leia176

    somebody Guest

    Actually, I seem to remember having heard something about there being
    "problems" with Intel 865, 875 chipsets and extreme hd setups. No
    details, I'm afraid it goes in one ear, out the other...

    Not sure that is it, but look around for fixes info on bios updates.

    I also think you should still consider one drive might be bad... And
    cables, of course.

    ancra

    somebody, Mar 6, 2004
  5. leia176

    Tim Guest

    Sounds like a virus.
    - TIM

    Tim, Mar 6, 2004
  6. leia176

    Tim Guest

    In addition.

    If it is a virus, then I recommend an fdisk and reinstall of everything.
    While you are in the process, go to the manufacturer's web site and see if
    there is a disk drive testing tool, download it and run it to the max. This
    will remove doubt that there are any problems with the drive.

    If you are overclocking then reset the bios to standard settings.
    Check your bios version - since it is a V2 board, you shouldn't have issues,
    but who knows?

    - Tim

    Tim, Mar 6, 2004
  7. leia176

    Guardian Guest

    Guardian, Mar 6, 2004
  8. leia176

    Guardian Guest

    Oops....accidentally clicked the send button before replying in my other
    post....

    I agree with Stephan.... I'd look at the memory first using the memtest
    utility....Stephan posted the link

    Guardian, Mar 6, 2004
  9. leia176

    DaveW Guest

    It's probably NOT the CPU going bad. CPU tend to be either fine or won't
    work at all. It sounds to me like a RAM timing issue giving problems.
    Either the model of RAM is incompatible with those boards or the two sticks
    are mis-timing relative to each other. If you have two sticks of RAM I
    would try independently removing one stick at a time, boot up, and see if it
    will run OK with just one stick. Try that with each of the two sticks.

    DaveW, Mar 7, 2004
  10. leia176

    leia176 Guest

    Thanks to all so far.

    My bios is the most current. I highly doubt it is a virus because my Norton
    is always updated, but I will scan my drives in another comp.

    Currently I'm testing the ram one stick at a time as sugested by Stephan.
    The comp was still doing mini-freezes even with only one stick and different
    sticks in. As for the 865 chipset..i'm pretty sure the 1st asus board i had
    was an 850 (off the top of my head).

    If nothing shows with the ram I'm going to again reset the bios jumpers,
    remove the battery..etc even though I did that. Then I'll change the cables.

    Any other ideas please let me know! I appreciate it!

    leia176, Mar 7, 2004
  11. leia176

    Chris Guest

    "leia176" wrote in message
    Does anyone know what's going on here? Please! Any ideas are appreciated!

    I had:
    Winxp updated to latest
    ABIT iT7 Max2 Ver 2.
    1gb Crucial ram
    2.4 gh intel
    Ati radeon 8500
    Soundblaster audigy 2
    2 ide drives
    2 sata drives

    I started getting "$MFT" errors (master file table?) first on one of my sata
    drives. Occasionally other drives. The sata port went out completely.
    Everytime this would happen I'd reboot and windows would go through this
    whole scan disk type thing recovering orphaned files.

    At first I thought the drive was bad, and then the port was bad, but it was
    happening on all my drives!

    Since that board definitely had a bad port I went for an:

    bad memory is where i would start.

    Chris, Jan 27, 2011
  12. leia176

    Gil Guest

    From what you're describing I'd suspect a weak/marginal power supply.
    What power supply are you presently using, and what is it's rated
    capacity on the 12 volt rail?

    Gil, Jan 27, 2011
  13. leia176

    John Doe Guest

    Always keep a backup copy (or two) of important data. That is
    doubly true when things start going wrong or when doing major
    operations.

    John Doe, Jan 27, 2011
  14. leia176

    Oldish Git Guest

    Probably a failing power supply if you are using the same one.
    To test your RAM, boot to a memtest86 boot CD (freeware.)
    The click you hear is probably the hard drives parking the
    heads when the power to them is interrupted.
    PSU faults are very, very, common.
    HTH,

    Oldish Git, Jan 29, 2011
  15. leia176

    UJ Guest

    "leia176" wrote in message
[...]

    same mb same amount of drives...5 actually 3 sata 2 ide

    as others are now telling you its the psu!!!!

    i had same problem.....probably your usb`s arent working right either!

    UJ, May 9, 2011
  16. leia176

    John Doe Guest

    You need to configure your Microsoft Windows Live Mail settings so
    they properly quote text.

    John Doe, May 9, 2011
  17. leia176

    Paul Guest

    He's using WLM 15, and that's how it works. (I check
    the message headers all the time now, looking for WLM 15
    users.)

    It's not really a good tool for USENET. Going back
    to WLM 14 is one solution (it works slightly better),
    but a complete switch to a separate tool for USENET
    posting is a better choice.

    Microsoft is obviously working to mess up our USENET,
    on purpose. After all, they had the "OE Quotefix"
    solution years ago, for similar stupidity on their part.
    They seem to have learned nothing in the interim.

    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/description.html

    OE Quotefix, doesn't work with WLM. But the software
    designer for WLM, should at least have known about it,
    and how a previous Microsoft product, failed to comply.

    Paul

    Paul, May 9, 2011
  18. leia176

    VanguardLH Guest

    Not possible when Microsoft "upgraded" to v15 of WLM. Quoting no longer
    exists. Microsoft took a poor newsreader and made it worse.

    Unless you want to deal scrambled mess of typically top-posted and
    unquoted replies with mispositioned signatures (not at the end but in
    the middle), you probably should filter out posters using WLM v15, or
    later. I highlight them to realize the post will likely be a mess. My
    filter looks like:

    !setcolor(purple;silver) Header {^X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Live Mail (1[5-9]|1[0-9]{2,}|[2-9])}

    Matches on versions 15 and up. Besides colorizing them, I could tag
    them as Ignored (which means they won't be seen in my default view of
    hiding ignored posts). If I just delete them then new posts to them
    that show up later would be seen. If I want to ignore a post then it's
    likely that I want to ignore the entire [sub]thread thereafter. Until I
    decide later to ignore (and hide) the WLM posters as I now do with
    Google Groupers, I'll just colorize them for now. Your Xnews client
    supports regex, too, so you should be able to define something similar.

    Microsoft is highly unlikely to ever fix the problem. They scrambled
    away from Usenet. If they were smart, they would eventually just delete
    all the NNTP support in WLM and force their users to find another
    newsreader.

    VanguardLH, May 10, 2011
  19. leia176

    Shaun Guest

    "UJ" wrote in message

    "leia176" wrote in message
[...]

    I would suspect your power supply. Make sure you buy a replacement with
    enough power, maybe 350 watt

    shaun

    Shaun, May 16, 2011
  20. leia176

    John Doe Guest

    A power supply wattage rating alone is practically meaningless,
    since real output varies greatly among cheap and quality power
    supplies.

    Also... You need to get a real UseNet reader/client that properly
    quotes material.

    John Doe, May 17, 2011