    Of course not! It's because M&Ms sometimes throw a dime to people on the
    streets, whereas they send $660,000,000 to Steve Jobs in one year.

    It doesn't add up to a good education for people on the streets.

    Paul Strong, Jun 10, 2011

  2. Paul Strong

    Duke Mantee Guest

    What kind of liberal twaddle are you spewing?

    Duke Mantee, Jun 10, 2011

  3. He's not spewing liberal twaddle; he's spewing anti-Apple twaddle. He's
    Yugo/Priam/bunch-of-other-fake-identities.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 11, 2011
  4. Paul Strong

    Paul Strong Guest

    Le 2011-06-10 19:36, Michelle Steiner a écrit :
    Well, then, Twaddle 3D Steiner, tell us why there are so many people are
    in prison in the US.

    "In the last two-and-a-half decades, the prison population has undergone
    what the United States Bureau of Justice Statistics director Jan Chaiken
    last year called "literally incredible" expansion. Chaiken reported a
    quadrupling of the U.S. incarceration rate since 1975. That rate, more
    than 600 prisoners for every 100,000 people, is by far the highest in
    the industrialized world. The U.S. incarcerates its citizens at a rate
    six times higher than Canada, England, and France, seven times higher
    than Switzerland and Holland, and ten times Sweden and Finland. Beyond
    sheer magnitude, a second aspect of America's incarceration boom is its
    heavily racialized nature. On any given day, Chaiken reported, 30
    percent of African-American males ages 20 to 29 are "under correctional
    supervision" ‹either in jail or prison or on probation or parole.
    Especially chilling is a statistical model used by the Bureau of Justice
    Statistics to determine the lifetime chances of incarceration for
    individuals in different racial and ethnic groups. Based on current
    rates, it predicts that a young Black man age 16 in 1996 faces a 29
    percent chance of spending time in prison during his life. The
    corresponding statistic for white men in the same age group is 4
    percent. According to Thomas K. Lowenstein, director of the Electronic
    Policy Network, 7 percent of Black children- nearly 9 times more than
    white children- have an incarcerated parent.

    (...)

    "Clear and fellow criminologist Dina Rose think that certain U.S.
    communities have reached what they see as a curious criminal justice
    "tipping point"- the locus at which repressive state policies actually
    drive up crime rates. When 1 percent or more of a neighborhood's
    residents are imprisoned per year, they theorize, mass incarceration
    incapacitates neighborhood social networks to the point where they can
    no longer keep crime under control. But, of course, the communities
    "tipped" by criminal justice policies are located in a relatively small
    number of minority-based inner-city zip codes. The record 600,000
    offenders released from prison last year "return," notes the New York
    Times, "largely to *poor neighborhoods* of large cities."

    <http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/streeracpripov.html>

    Paul Strong, Jun 11, 2011
  5. Paul Strong

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    I'd also like to know which M&M sometimes throw a dime... I'm betting
    Green. she looks like the big spender type.

    Kurt Ullman, Jun 11, 2011
  6. Paul Strong

    Salmon Egg Guest

    My comments are:

    1. There is a justice/industry complex that makes its living of of the
    Justice system. The members want to see high incarceration rate so that
    the system can feed at the Public trough. That is why drugs are
    outlawed. I would have no problem with decriminalizing drugs and make
    the freely available as long as the user consents not to complain if
    he/she to not having the rest of us take care of them because of their
    habits. Let the selection aspect of evolution do its part to take care
    of our problems.

    2. Most of the people involved are merely responding to their
    environment. In the long run, they find activities that land them in
    jail as an easier way to make a living then alternatives. We need to
    find ways to give them better alternatives before they become set in
    their ways.

    Sam

    Salmon Egg, Jun 11, 2011
  7. Paul Strong

    Tim Streater Guest

    Well, then, Twaddle 3D Steiner, tell us why there are so many people are
    in prison in the US.[/QUOTE]

    It's because in the US, you don't get justice. What you get is law.
    These are not necessarily the same thing.

    Tim Streater, Jun 11, 2011
  8. Paul Strong

    Paul Strong Guest

    Le 2011-06-10 20:59, Salmon Egg a écrit :
    Maybe it is so in the States. Here, in Canada, the private sector does
    not manage prisons.

    But I don't believe this is the main problem. I believe it's hard to
    have a population act ethically when the likes of Hank Paulson make
    billions pulling their bank (Goldman $achs) in the ditch and then making
    some more money pulling it out of the ditch by getting a promotion at
    the government level in order to steal more from tax payers(1). Then,
    when they're through, they go teaching their methods in universities.
    This is how blatant dishonesty wins spurs.

    (1) Yes, loans have been repaid and the swindling has continued the
    following year but what the taxpayer had to pay for is the devaluation
    of the American dollar cause, in a large part, by the Fed printing so
    much phooney mooney to salvage the banks and the industry. (See Matt
    Taibbi articles at rollingstone.com/politics)

    These simple-minded people do not understand why they are paid $7.25 an
    hour to clean the toilets while Steve Jobs earns $660,000,000 a year.
    These people are not like you and Steiner, they believe there is a
    discrepancy that doesn't make sense.
    If I'd put a pound of amphetamines, morphine, heroin, whatever, right
    under your nose, would you sniff or inject it? Why do these people do it?
    Because, they're desperate. So your solution is to cure desperation with
    drugs?

    What these people need is better education. They need to learn that when
    one is empowered with... technical knowledge, he'll get through whatever
    happens. He doesn't need to collect millions as Imelda Marcos was
    collecting shoes. He learns the pleasure of sharing and having his
    action recognized as worthwhile.

    By now, you must understand what I'm getting to. Yes, Linux!

    Linus Torvalds is by no means a poor man. I suppose he earns at least
    $500,000 a year. He's got a house in Oregon and feeds his family,
    together, I suppose, with his wife, a karate black belt.

    But whoever -- be it IBM's or HP's developers -- thinks that he earns
    too much may split. Even HP and IBM may decide to go their own way. They
    may even decide to grab *all* the code written since 1991, say «it's
    mine» and start a new open source business.

    Weirdly, nobody wants to do this. Torvalds doesn't have much time to
    contribute code anymore. He now has the ultimate responsibility of
    integration or rejecting the code of more than a thousand strong ego-ed
    developers. And every new kernel version see code contributions rising.

    Small computers from the One Laptop Per Child project and more than 80%
    of the 500 most powerful computers in the world run Linux. If you're
    stupid enough to apply for the job of replacing Torvalds for the kind of
    money he's making, go ahead! But developers in the community know what's
    involved and your application would be rejected and a place at the
    nearest psychiatric institution reserved right on the spot.

    Klaus Knopper, of Knoppix fame, once told me he earns 150€ an hour
    working for banks. That's 300,000€ a year. Ask him if he's interested by
    the job and observe what being laughed at means.

    Nobody wants Torvalds' job at twice the salary. Linus got used to his
    misery because he started the project when he was a student and, slowly,
    he figured out he was surfing the crest of IT knowledge. That's where he
    wants to be. He won't give up this job that nobody wants.

    I've called you morons, assholes, would-be artists who believe their
    status can be bought in a piece of lowest bidder hardware sold at twice
    the price. You pretend to be America's elite, but you just refuse to
    understand that there is a movement developing to empower the people
    instead of a happy few.

    Anything presented to you as a new gadget makes you all rejoice. You're
    so ludicrously happy when you see Apple's shares going, confirming how
    badly you're being scre***, err... had.

    I'm far from an IT expert, but I don't give a shit about Spaces. Linux
    has had that from its inception under the name "Workspaces".

    Why should I care that you can switch tabs in your browser with a
    certain movement of your fingers on the touchpad when CTRL + PgUp or
    PgDn does the same on my PC?

    (Oh, even though I use Lucid Lynx, which was released on April 2010, it
    seems I would have those touchpad actions automatically enabled with
    xserver-xorg-input-synaptics. If I used a touchpad, of course.See:
    http://packages.debian.org/sid/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics )

    But even if I didn't get months and years in advance what Apple's
    1984-type brainwashing machine presents as /new features/, I wouldn't
    give a damn. I don't feel any need to brag about those lowest bidder,
    underpowered, impossible to fix or upgrade, so cuuute and so tiiiny
    machines. I feel better when I give somebody an Ubuntu (LTS) CD or USB
    key and I say "Empower yourself".

    The problem with America's self-proclaimed "elite" today is that it
    prefers to boast about its money than the knowledge it shares.
    How generous! Trying to find a way to get you out of this brainwashing
    machine would be the first step in the right direction. While you want
    to solve problems, you are part of the problem. You're sick, man!

    Paul Strong, Jun 12, 2011