micro-atx-board with lan/gfx/sound?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Nikolai =?ISO-8859-15?Q?F=F6rsterling?=, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. hi NG,

    can anyone give me an advice for a good micro-atx mainboard with
    onboard lan, gfx (tv-out'd be perfect), one serial port and sound for
    an athlonXP1600+/fsb133?

    i've done some search, but i'm not sure which one could do a good job.

    i want to assemble a htpc in a hifi-case (therefore onboard gfx) with
    a silent power supply/active pfc two hdd's and maybe dvd, which shall
    act as a musicserver.

    this moment i've got a test system running with an msi ms-6378 (m2m
    combo-l), but this board produces far too much heat itself because of
    the power-step-down-ic.
    i bought it at ebay and doesn't seem to work properly (freezes), so i
    have to look for another one.
    maybe someone could share his/her experiences on suitably boards, that
    stay cool itself.

    any of these?:
    ecs/k7som ecs/k7s41 asus/a7v266 gigabyte/ga7zxe msi/ms-6390
    asrock/k7vm2
    --
    lg niko
    icq:# 129022192

    Nikolai =?ISO-8859-15?Q?F=F6rsterling?=, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Nikolai =?ISO-8859-15?Q?F=F6rsterling?=

    Wes Newell Guest

    Chaintech 7NIF2 or 7NIF4 if you want SATA raid support.

    http://www.targetpcinc.com/Details.asp?ItemID=3086&Res=2
    The dual channel of the NF2 chipset shines with integrated video. The
    onboard video takes full advantage of it where other chipsets have to
    share the single channel. As for running cool, that's more of a CPU
    problem than a board problem. An old Palomino core 1600+ runs very hot
    compared to the newer Tbred B and barton cores. So if heats a problem
    you'll probably need to change the cpu (or underclock, undervolt the one
    you have) to reduce heat. Now if you have to do that, I'd suggest
    replacing the whole MB/CPU with a cool running socket 754 Sempron or AMD
    64 CPU. Any of them wiill be lot faster and a lot cooler than an XP 1600+.

    Wes Newell, Sep 15, 2005

  3. hi,
    looks good & seems sufficient, but haven't found it at ebay.de.
    (it shouldn't be that expensive, too)
    i don't need sata.(hey, it's a small musicserver)
    i've made the expericence that northbridge, southbridge,
    voltage-regulators and gfx are indeed heat factors.
    yes, i planned to step down to fsb100(@1050mhz) and use an arctic
    cooling pro (verya quiet).
    tested with another atx-board: cpu stays cool enough.
    or maybe i'll even use passive cooling.
    no need to be faster, i'd like to use my existing cpu, though maybe
    that's no longer possible if the ebay board damaged it...
    and my two pc2100 ddr's would be enough.
    --
    lg niko
    icq:# 129022192

    Nikolai =?ISO-8859-15?Q?F=F6rsterling?=, Sep 15, 2005