    Marc Guest

    Does anyone know if Epox or any other manufacturer make a Micro ATX
    motherboard with SATA support but NO RAID?

    Marc, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Marc

    Alex Marsden Guest

    can i just ask why you would want a board that does this as surely RAID is
    optional and can be turned off?
    Alex

    Alex Marsden, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Isnt Raid inefficent with space?

    Why pay for Raid when you dont want it?

    Marc, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Most of the simple motherboard controllers, only implement RAID0, 1, or 0+1.
    RAID 0, costs nothing on space. None are really 'inefficient' (is it
    inefficient to keep duplicate records...).
    Generally, the simplest of these controllers add no hardware, and simply
    implement RAID in software using the BIOS. All that is then added to each
    board, is software, which basically costs nothing to add to the board, once
    it is written.
    This is why manufacturers 'like' this option, since it is a way to provide
    an extra 'feature', for no extra manufacturing cost on the individual units.
    Units, where the SATA feature is not part of the motherboard chipset,
    require extra drivers, and/or a BIOS to handle the extra interface chip
    implementing the interface, so manufacturers buy a 'chipset', comprising the
    interface and BIOS, which again implements the RAID option. Doing this is
    cheaper, than sitting down and writing a new custom motherboard BIOS to
    interface to the SATA controller, but not provide RAID.
    Yes. Indeed some boards have a BIOS option, to treat the SATA connectors for
    RAID, or as standard IDE ports.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Thanks for your summary, Roger. Can you please correct my summary...

    1. Raid 0 does not cost anything on space (megabytes).
    2. Raid 0 does not cost anything on time (milliseconds).
    3. You can turn off Raid if you want via the BIOS.

    Thanks

    Marc, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Add, that for simple implementations, no hardware is needed (this is why
    manyfacturers like it so much...).

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Marc

    Mark N Guest

    Just remember that with raid 0, if one drive breaks you loose all the data
    on both drives. But raid 0 does give notable performance increases when both
    reading and writing. And total storage volume is double the single drive
    capacity. - its best to use identical drives here.

    Raid 1 simply mirrors data over drives and so is thought to be a proper raid
    (ie redundancy). Write speeds remain the same as with a single drive but
    read speeds increase. Total storage is only equal to single drive
    capacity. - again use identical drives.

    My mobo supports 2 separate raid arrays through 2 controllers. So i run 2
    120Gb seagate SATA drives as a raid 0 and (up until about 1 week ago) 2 80Gb
    Western digital drives as a raid 1 - which i use for backup (files,
    operating system etc). But due to serious bios problems and the incredible
    noise of the WD's (i want a quiet PC) they are now in my lan party system as
    raid 0. I will get 2 160Gb Seagate IDE drives just as soon as Epox release a
    decent bios for the EP-8KRA2+ mobo.

    So in short, i like raid :) and with the price of hard drives so low now
    (especially IDE drives) setting up raid arrays is not as costly as once it
    was.

    Regards, Mark

    Mark N, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Mark,

    Are you saying that if I use a 120gb with a 50gb, I will only get 50+50gb
    using RAID 0?

    Thanks

    Marc, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Marc

    Mark N Guest

    yep, absolutely. you will get a theoretical 100Mb (driver are often a little
    smaller than their stated capacity) - this is true with raid 1 also. If you
    want to combine a 120Gb with a 50Gb then the best option with raid is a JBOD
    (just a bunch of disks) where your capacity will be one 170Gb volume.

    There are many different types of raid, 0, 1, 01 being the common ones. Then
    it starts to get cool on raid 5. After this you are in large server
    territory...

    There are lots of resources on the web on this topic
    try
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=81
    http://www.pinoypc.net/hardware/raid/index2.shtml

    Regards, Mark