Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Bill Giovino, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Bill Giovino

    Bill Giovino Guest

    Bill Giovino, Apr 26, 2005

  2. To bad this is only a 10 base device, even if the actual data through-put is
    much lower then 10 kbit, for compatibility with other devices on the net a
    base 100 controler would be desireable.

    /Roland

    Roland Zitzke, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Why do you say that? I use networks with a mixture of 100bT
    and 10bT devices all the time. There is not problem with
    "compatibility". Unless you actually need the bandwidth, the
    supposed advantage of 100bT over 10bT is pure marketing
    bullshit.

    I applaud Microchip for make a sound engineering decision
    rather than wasting power and silicon on a usless feature.

    Grant Edwards, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Bill Giovino

    David Guest

    That's almost true, but not quite. As long as you have switches on your
    network, then there is no problem mixing 10bT and 100bT - packets going
    from a 100bT PC to a 10bT ENC28J60 will travel at 100 Mb to the switch,
    then 10 Mb to the ENC, and vice versa on return. However, if you have
    hubs rather than switches, a single 10bT device on the network will hold
    the entire (hubbed) network at 10bT. Of course, few networks still use
    hubs rather than switches, so it's not much of a problem, and I agree it
    would be a big waste to add 100bT support to the chip.

    David, Apr 27, 2005
  5. Right.

    Unfortunately, as suits rule the purchasing departments,
    they will pick a 100bT product from competitor A over
    an otherwise superior 10bT product from competitor B.

    It sucks...

    Greetings,
    Olav

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22O=2E_W=F6lfelschneider=22?=, Apr 27, 2005
  6. Bill Giovino

    bob Guest

    Did anyone else notice the power consumption? 250ma at 3.3 volts!! A
    CS8900A manages to work at around 50ma at 3.3 volts. What is Microchip
    doing with all that extra power? Even 100base-T controllers use less
    than 250ma.

    bob, Apr 29, 2005
  7. Bill Giovino

    Jim Stewart Guest

    Ouch. Good catch.

    Jim Stewart, Apr 29, 2005
  8. Bill Giovino

    CBFalconer Guest

    I suspect a misprint somewhere. If that is in anything smaller
    than a DIP package it would at least need heat sinks to avoid
    desoldering itself.

    CBFalconer, Apr 29, 2005
  9. From what I understand, it's not a misprint.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany

    Spehro Pefhany, Apr 29, 2005
  10. Bill Giovino

    joep Guest

    joep, Apr 29, 2005
  11. Spehro Pefhany, Apr 29, 2005
  12. Bill Giovino

    Jukka Marin Guest

    Jukka Marin, Apr 30, 2005
  13. Bill Giovino

    Antti Lukats Guest

    terve Jukka,

    some news mentioned 4.15USD but no quantity

    Antti

    Antti Lukats, Apr 30, 2005
  14. Bill Giovino

    Jukka Marin Guest