    Thanks in advance.

    Kind regards

    Dave.

    Dave Smithz, Nov 9, 2005

  2. First off, if you insist on running Exchange, you won't have a Mac-only
    network any longer. You'll most likely have to hire someone to care and
    feed the mailserver and another person to back them up as they won't
    want to be on-call 7x24x365. email service is typically thought of as a
    mission-critical application in companies these days.

    If you continue using the MacOS X MTA (sendmail), you won't have these
    problems for the most part. It will just run, barring the idiots in
    marketing sending out 5MB Powerpoint presentations to everyone in the
    company and filling your mail spool. You have a Mac-only network with
    existing mail server technology that's been around for decades and there
    are an army of people around who fix bugs and exploits for it as soon as
    they're discovered. Are you intentionally trying to hit your thumb with
    a hammer or shoot a toe off?

    Isn't Entourage an email client? Why would it care what email server it
    talks with? If it has some sort of preference for M$ products, why
    bother running it at all?

    If some PHB is pushing this, why not arrange for that person to have an
    "accident" and problem solved. I see no technological reason for
    switching. It must be political. Take that politician out and shoot
    them. It will keep the others honest.

    Michael Vilain, Nov 10, 2005

  3. If you use Entourage only for e-mail, you would be correct.

    The fact that Dave wants to run Exchange in the first place indicates
    that he probably wants to do more. And then Entourage has some use.

    Jerry Kindall, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Dave Smithz

    Scott Lowe Guest

    Dave,

    As has been pointed out by others in this thread, Exchange Server runs
    only on Windows and has some other prerequisites (most notably, Active
    Directory) that make implementing Exchange a bit more complicated than
    perhaps some would like.

    If all you see is basic e-mail connectivity, then there are a plethora
    of Internet standards-based applications to provide it--Postfix for
    SMTP, Cyrus or Dovecot for IMAP (and POP, I believe--don't use POP that
    much so I'm not sure), etc. Most, if not all, of these applications
    are open source and available to you at little or no cost. They
    typically run on Linux, and if you aren't experienced that's the
    easiest way to go. I find that Mac OS X, with its BSD/Unix core, fits
    very well with Linux-based servers. Of course, YMMV.

    In addition, there are numerous Linux/Unix-based groupware servers that
    not only offer e-mail but can also offer some of the "extras" that a
    native Exchange client (which, BTW, Entourage is NOT) also gets. Try a
    Google search; you'll find plenty of matches. One product that
    immediately springs to mind include CommuniGate Pro, but I'm sure there
    are plenty of others. Although I haven't looked extensively, I'm sure
    you could find equivalent products that will run natively on your Mac
    OS X Server machine as well.

    HTH.

    Scott Lowe, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Dave Smithz

    Jolly Roger Guest

    Yeah, right.

    To say that Entourage is useless as a standard email client is really
    doing Entourage a sisservice. The truth is Entourage has *plenty* of
    standard, non-Exchange features that no other Mac mail client can
    currently match. Entourage runs circles around Mail in many, many
    ways; but you'd only know that if you actually used both of those
    applications for a few weeks. ; )

    Jolly Roger, Sep 11, 2006
  6. Dave Smithz

    Jolly Roger Guest

    Boredom?

    Actually I hadn't really noticed the date. Guess I'll have to be more careful!

    Jolly Roger, Sep 11, 2006
  7. Dave Smithz

    Hugh Watkins Guest

    I found entourage too difficult to set up for AOl imap so I have dropped it
    and usenet was a place in siberia

    so I use good old mozilla mail for usenet

    Entouarge seems to be designed for group work in schools

    as I write I have WinXp running on Parellel using the latest MS stuff
    aand the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.0

    I will never use MS products on the mac again
    bye bye mactopia

    sincerely

    Hugh W

    --