    next time. :)

    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=75&e=1&u=/nf/20040720/tc_nf/25932

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Yousuf Khan

    CJT Guest

    It's tempting.

    Rindows, anyone?

    CJT, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Go for the throat : "My Windows".

    Then ask them where they got the "WIMP" phrase from that their
    marketroids liked to use at the time.

    Cheers,
    Rupert

    Rupert Pigott, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Is that the Chinese version of Lindows? :)

    Linspire should really push the envelope and call its next OS, Linspire
    Windows. :)

    Microsoft might only be able to enforce the trademark to the name "MS
    Windows" or "Microsoft Windows" from now on, but not simply just "Windows".
    Linspire could contend that the "Linspire" in "Linspire Windows" makes it
    different than "MS Windows". This one might be a little harder to get away
    with though. :)

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Yousuf Khan

    Hank Oredson Guest

    Hank Oredson, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Yousuf Khan

    Norm Dresner Guest

    Windows - Icons - Menus - Pointers IIRC it comes from Xerox PARC in the
    early '80s

    Norm

    Norm Dresner, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Portholes?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jul 20, 2004
  8. .... Precisely. However it was widely applied. I even saw it used to
    describe systems for the BBC Micro. :)

    Cheers,
    Rupert

    Rupert Pigott, Jul 20, 2004
  9. I don't think they try to claim it, it's a common technical term like rpm.

    Bill Davidsen, Jul 21, 2004
  10. Uhh, they already claimed Windows... and anything that sounds like it?
    Lawyers need to get rich too you know.;-) Take a look here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/library/toolbar/3.0/trademarks/en-us.mspx.
    Autoroute®?... I wonder what the French think of that?
    Bookshelf®?... absurd!
    Entourage®?... not only the French here!
    Exhibition(TM)?
    Links® in relation to a golf game? What *will* the R&A think?
    ....... and on and on.

    Remember this is the company that tried to steal Java and proprietarize it.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, Jul 22, 2004
  11. Yousuf Khan

    hu-mi yu Guest

    hu-mi yu, Jul 23, 2004
  12. Yousuf Khan

    Strontium Guest

    -
    Yousuf Khan stood up at show-n-tell, in
    $20M is chump-change, for MS.

    Strontium, Jul 23, 2004
  13. Yousuf Khan

    JK Guest

    Doors? That doesn't sound so intriguing. A more hitech sounding name
    is portals. How about openings?

    JK, Jul 23, 2004
  14. Yousuf Khan

    JK Guest

    How about an operating system called periscopes?

    JK, Jul 23, 2004
  15. Yousuf Khan

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    Doors doesn't sound completely out of place.

    Instead of playing one of M$'s jingles when Doors starts up, it could be
    replaced with a pirated MP3 of "People Are Strange" and fit right in with
    the digit heads. If the user changes their desktop color scheme, it could be
    followed with the musical snip "I see a red door and I want to paint it
    black ..."

    The possibilities just boggle the mynd.

    MyndPhlyp, Jul 23, 2004
  16. "orifices"

    Alexander Grigoriev, Jul 23, 2004
  17. Yousuf Khan

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    And instead of the terms "GPF", "crash" or "BSOD", it would be called
    "wrecked 'em".

    MyndPhlyp, Jul 23, 2004
  18. Yousuf Khan

    Roger Hunt Guest

    "Arseholes"

    Roger Hunt, Jul 23, 2004
  19. Yousuf Khan

    CJT Guest

    CJT, Jul 23, 2004
  20. Yousuf Khan

    Roger Hunt Guest

    "sphincters"
    [/QUOTE]
    The idea of "sphincters" OS failing doesn't bear thinking about.

    Roger Hunt, Jul 23, 2004