Microsoft Touts Cost Savings of Vista Over XP

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Ablang, Sep 17, 2007.

  1. Ablang

    Ablang Guest

    < Is anyone surprised by these findings? >

    Microsoft Touts Cost Savings of Vista Over XP
    A Microsoft study finds that total cost of ownership for Windows Vista
    on mobile PCs is $605 less annually than Windows XP.
    Paul Krill, InfoWorld
    Wednesday, September 05, 2007 6:00 PM PDT

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136865/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws

    On Wednesday, Microsoft released details of a study it commissioned
    that found that total cost of ownership for Windows Vista on mobile
    PCs is US$605 less annually than Windows XP.

    According to research conducted by Wipro and GCR Custom Research,
    total cost of ownership for Windows XP is $4,407 annually, while
    Vista's cost is $3,802. The $4,407 figure was derived from costs of
    hardware, software, IT labor, and user costs. Mobile PCs were the
    focus because these units will outship desktop systems by 2010, said
    Hiroshi Sakakibara, product manager for Windows Product Management at
    Microsoft.

    Peculiarly, the study actually was based on XP usage and
    extrapolations based on Vista capabilities because there was not a
    substantial base of Vista clients in use yet when the study was done
    early in 2007. Now, the installed base of Vista is 60 million PCs,
    Microsoft said.

    GCR and Wipro calculated that the Vista upgrade itself saves $251 per
    year. These benefits include enhancements in security, desktop
    engineering, service desk requirements, user labor, and hardware and
    software benefits. Among the improvements noted were in such areas as
    network diagnostics, backup and restore, self-healing functions, and
    implementation of security policies.

    Deploying best practices through Microsoft's Infrastructure
    Optimization model adds another $236 in Vista savings, while utilizing
    the MDOP (Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack) saves $118 per PC. MDOP
    features Microsoft SoftGrid Application Virtualization and the
    Microsoft Asset Inventory Service, while Infrastructure Optimization
    covers best practices, such as controlling PC configurations. MDOP is
    available as part of Microsoft's Software Assurance licensing program.

    Reducing vulnerabilities and utilizing security policies presents
    savings, noted Bill Barna, principal consultant at Wipro. Security
    savings alone were estimated at $55. "If you can reduce the number of
    core vulnerabilities, you can basically have the savings flow
    throughout the entire security model," Barna said.

    The survey featured 541 phones calls to users at 131 XP user
    organizations; one IT decision-maker and three end-users were polled
    at each user site.

    While Microsoft is promoting Vista upgrades, a Free Software
    Foundation project called "BadVista," is pushing free software as an
    alternative.

    "We describe it as a campaign definitely against Vista but chiefly to
    promote free software over Vista," said John Sullivan, a campaign
    manager at the foundation.

    Users should replace "proprietary" systems with a free system like GNU-
    Linux, Sullivan said.

    Ablang, Sep 17, 2007

  2. Ablang

    Bruce Burden Guest

    : < Is anyone surprised by these findings? >
    :
    : On Wednesday, Microsoft released details of a study it commissioned
    :
    Hmmm. M$ commissioned the study.
    :
    : Peculiarly, the study actually was based on XP usage and
    : extrapolations based on Vista capabilities because there was not a
    : substantial base of Vista clients in use yet when the study was done
    : early in 2007.
    :
    Hmmm. M$ commissioned the study.

    Nope, can't say that any study commissioned by M$ reflects
    current M$ think.

    I have already decided that my next laptop will be an Apple.

    Bruce

    Bruce Burden, Sep 17, 2007

  3. Ablang

    Gordon Guest

    I wonder if that's a REAL number, or whether that's the number of
    LICENCES SHIPPED? How many of those are languishing on the shelves at OEMs?

    Gordon, Sep 17, 2007
  4. Ablang

    David Conrad Guest

    I'm one who has a free vista upgrade for my XP laptop and won't use it for a
    while.
    Also, my wife's laptop came with Vista and I find it has a few serious
    deficiencies.

    David Conrad, Sep 18, 2007
  5. Ablang

    PJ Guest

    You can subtract 275 from that "installed
    base" figure. My primary client is
    "un-installing" the HDDs from all new
    purchases and putting those drives on the
    shelf. A 'standard' corporate image goes
    into those machines...XP/sp-2. (Cost per
    machine to buy and image an extra HDD is
    about $ 65 per machine.)

    They have several 'test' machines that will
    be upgraded from time to time. Assuming the
    economy stays healthy, rollout will be in
    late 2008.

    Savings from this approach include
    cancellation of an order for 1100 notebooks
    in 2007. They avoided one, possibly two
    additional hires for internal support this
    year and their application support costs in
    2007 are much lower.

    PJ, Sep 19, 2007
  6. Ablang

    Jim Guest

    I wonder if that's a REAL number, or whether that's the number of
    at OEMs?

    That is the real question. I also wonder what kind of discount was
    given to get the OEMs to purchase such a large number.

    I have a Vista 64 system and an XP system and can find no savings or
    real advantages for the Vista system. The built in security is a
    joke. The installation took 3 months to get it working right. I
    tried the 32 bit version and found it to be noticably sluggish and
    slow.

    This study probably reflects MS wishes and not facts.

    Jim, Sep 27, 2007