migrating both raid and not raid PATA to VIA6410 (on motherboard like 915P Neo2 Platinum)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Gilles Vollant, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I've a computer with 4 year old motherboard (MSI 694D Pro).
    This motherboard contain 2 standard Ultra DMA100 port and a Promise Fastrack
    100 controller.

    Here is the list of the drive on the motherboard:
    - connected on the promise Fastrack 100 : two hard disk (60 GB each) in Raid
    mirroring
    - connected on the 2 standard Ultra DMA100 : a DVD reader, a DVD writer, a
    200 GB disk (ultra dma 100) and a 120 GB Disk (ultra dma 100) .

    This computer is to be user under Windows XP (and future version of Windows)

    Can I buy an MSI 915P Neo2 Platinum and :

    - connect the DVD reader and the burner on the intel IDE port
    - connect all hard disk to the VIA6410 .

    (as I understand, the VIA6410 is only for hard disk)

    I want continue to have the two 60 GB disk mirrored, and the 200 and 120 GB
    disk as independant disk.

    Is it possible ? And is it possible without reformat the disk ?
    (I just want save data on disk, I known I can have to reinstall Windows
    itself)

    This mean :
    - can I mix two independant disk, bootable, on the VIA6410 and two mirrored
    disk
    - can I migrate mirror of two disk from Promise Fasttrack100 to VIA6410

    And can I boot on the 200 or 120 GB disk connected on the VIA6410 ?

    Of course, Sata is nice for future, but I don't want buy new disk at this
    time for this computer.

    Gilles Vollant, Mar 19, 2005