    she couldn't damage the system or other accounts.

    At her age, maybe it would be best not to fool with Safari. Is there a
    way to make some apps unavailable to a certain user?

    J Burns, Apr 21, 2014

  2. J Burns

    J Burns Guest

    On 4/20/14, 11:50 PM, J Burns wrote:
    > I showed a three-year-old relative how to stream a Buster Keaton movie
    > on her father's iPad. She was enthralled.
    >
    > It seems unwise to let a little kid use an iPad without supervision, and
    > the screen is too small for others to watch with her.
    >
    > How about letting her watch such movies from the HD of a Mini? She
    > wouldn't need to use a browser that way. From a user account, I suppose
    > she couldn't damage the system or other accounts.
    >
    > At her age, maybe it would be best not to fool with Safari. Is there a
    > way to make some apps unavailable to a certain user?

    Found it! A user account with parental controls! Neat!

    J Burns, Apr 21, 2014

  3. J Burns

    nospam Guest

    In article <lj24hs$8ss$>, J Burns <>
    wrote:

    > I showed a three-year-old relative how to stream a Buster Keaton movie
    > on her father's iPad. She was enthralled.
    >
    > It seems unwise to let a little kid use an iPad without supervision, and
    > the screen is too small for others to watch with her.
    >
    > How about letting her watch such movies from the HD of a Mini? She
    > wouldn't need to use a browser that way. From a user account, I suppose
    > she couldn't damage the system or other accounts.
    >
    > At her age, maybe it would be best not to fool with Safari. Is there a
    > way to make some apps unavailable to a certain user?

    system preferences>parental controls

    ther's also kiosk mode for an ipad to lock it to one app only, which
    could be a dedicated movie app (or game or whatever).

    nospam, Apr 21, 2014
  4. J Burns

    Király Guest

    J Burns <> wrote:
    > Found it! A user account with parental controls! Neat!

    Parental controls are hardly needed in this case. Just give the toddler
    his own non-admin account. With that he won't be able to screw up
    anything for anyone else.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.

    Király, Apr 21, 2014
  5. J Burns

    J Burns Guest

    On 4/21/14, 3:23 PM, Király wrote:
    > J Burns <> wrote:
    >> Found it! A user account with parental controls! Neat!

    > Parental controls are hardly needed in this case. Just give the toddler
    > his own non-admin account. With that he won't be able to screw up
    > anything for anyone else.

    I had to learn a lot moving from Classic to OS X. Parental Control
    offers a Simple Finder option. Sometimes I have to search for an app
    whose name I don't recall. Parental Control allows the preselection of
    apps that would be of interest to the kid. It also allows the selection
    of websites available on Safari, which could make life easier for a
    young surfer even if there were no porn. It allows the administrator to
    limit a kid's time on the computer.

    J Burns, Apr 21, 2014
  6. J Burns

    Lewis Guest

    In message <lj24hs$8ss$>
    J Burns <> wrote:
    > I showed a three-year-old relative how to stream a Buster Keaton movie
    > on her father's iPad. She was enthralled.

    > It seems unwise to let a little kid use an iPad without supervision,

    Why? I know one little girl who just turned 4 and she's had an iPad of
    her own since she was less than 2.

    --
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail but a true friend will
    be sitting next to you saying, "Dang, that was fun."

    Lewis, Apr 22, 2014
  7. J Burns

    J Burns Guest

    On 4/22/14, 12:09 AM, Lewis wrote:
    > In message <lj24hs$8ss$>
    > J Burns <> wrote:
    >> I showed a three-year-old relative how to stream a Buster Keaton movie
    >> on her father's iPad. She was enthralled.

    >> It seems unwise to let a little kid use an iPad without supervision,

    > Why? I know one little girl who just turned 4 and she's had an iPad of
    > her own since she was less than 2.

    I'm barely familiar with iPads. Getting the movie to stream was only
    the second time I'd touched it.

    I believe if a child spilled fluid on an iPad, that would damage it and
    void the warranty. I imagine the screen could break if it fell.

    It's her mother's iPad. I imagine that without supervision, the girl
    could have damaged her mother's files. I don't know if the OS has
    options for protection.

    The girl was so intent on the image in front of her nose that she seemed
    oblivious to her father when he read the captions. I've read that this
    is typical of small children with iPads and that, like addicts, the can
    lose interest in other pastimes. Some parents and psychologists think
    it may be more harmful than too much TV.

    http://www.cultofmac.com/275304/ipad-play-may-damage-infants-ability-use-building-blocks/
    This article says nursery teachers have found that kids who have iPads
    have little or no manipulative skills.

    J Burns, Apr 22, 2014
  8. J Burns

    dorayme Guest

    In article <lj4u4m$1hm$>, J Burns <>
    wrote:

    > This article says nursery teachers have found that kids who have iPads
    > have little or no manipulative skills.

    Yeah and they grow up to be murderers...

    Don't believe everything you read.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 22, 2014
  9. J Burns

    Lewis Guest

    In message <lj4u4m$1hm$>
    J Burns <> wrote:
    > On 4/22/14, 12:09 AM, Lewis wrote:
    >> In message <lj24hs$8ss$>
    >> J Burns <> wrote:
    >>> I showed a three-year-old relative how to stream a Buster Keaton movie
    >>> on her father's iPad. She was enthralled.

    >>> It seems unwise to let a little kid use an iPad without supervision,

    >> Why? I know one little girl who just turned 4 and she's had an iPad of
    >> her own since she was less than 2.
    >>

    > I'm barely familiar with iPads. Getting the movie to stream was only
    > the second time I'd touched it.

    > I believe if a child spilled fluid on an iPad, that would damage it and
    > void the warranty. I imagine the screen could break if it fell.

    The iPad pretty much has to be submerged for water to get into it. As
    for breaking from a fall, possible, if you are using on a tile floor and
    drop it off a full-height table. Otherwise, they are quite sturdy.

    > It's her mother's iPad. I imagine that without supervision, the girl
    > could have damaged her mother's files. I don't know if the OS has
    > options for protection.

    I has Guided Access which for some reason no one uses. I use it all the
    time on my full sized iPad where accidentally hitting the 'Home' button
    is a frequent occurrence. I don't use it much on the iPad mini, but I am
    also not reading ebooks as much on the mini.

    > The girl was so intent on the image in front of her nose that she seemed
    > oblivious to her father when he read the captions. I've read that this
    > is typical of small children with iPads and that, like addicts, the can
    > lose interest in other pastimes. Some parents and psychologists think
    > it may be more harmful than too much TV.

    > http://www.cultofmac.com/275304/ipad-play-may-damage-infants-ability-use-building-blocks/
    > This article says nursery teachers have found that kids who have iPads
    > have little or no manipulative skills.

    But they have much more advanced fine-motor skills. Comme ci, comme ça.¹

    ¹ (Interestingly, to me, I always thought that phrase was Spanish (com
    si, com sa, until I looked it up.)

    --
    I think it would be fun to run a newspaper.

    Lewis, Apr 22, 2014
  10. J Burns

    Király Guest

    J Burns <> wrote:
    > This article says nursery teachers have found that kids who have iPads
    > have little or no manipulative skills.

    There was a study that compared kids' responses to a picture book being
    read to them and an e-version of the same book, with animations and
    "interactive" components, on an iPad. The kids were asked a day or two
    later what they remembered. The iPad kids remembered the flashiness of
    the experience, that characters were jumping up and down, etc. But for
    remembering the actual content of the story, the kids with the picture
    book did much better.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.