Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cables without an adapter?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, Dec 29, 2012.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    Does a pure cable (no adapter) exists from the newer Apple MacBook Pros
    (e.g., 13.3" MacBook Pro (A1278))' Mini DisplayPorts to HDTVs' HDMI
    ports exist? Or does one have to get an adapter to use with HDMI cables?
    If it exists, then where can be bought one from local retail stores
    (e.g., Best Buy, Apple, Costco) in LA/OC, CA, USA?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Even the wishes of a small ant reach heaven." --Japanese
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Dec 29, 2012

  2. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    A friend has bought a cable which has a Mini DisplayPort at one end and
    an HDMI male plug at the other end. Presumably it incorporates the
    components from the Mini-DP to HDMI adapter inside one of the plugs in
    the cable.

    Such a cable is not able to be approved as a licensed HDMI product, so
    you will probably be dealing with no-name brands, and mainstream
    retailers may not stock them. (Same goes for HDMI-male to DVI-male
    cables, one of which I have.)

    <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/08/mini-displayport-to-hdmi-cables-banned-b
    y-hdmi-org/>

    Having said that, for some reason the exact cable shown there is listed
    as being available from the online Apple Store in some countries
    (including New Zealand and Australia) but not the US, Canada or the UK.

    <http://store.apple.com/au/product/H4637ZM/A/kanex-mini-displayport-to-h
    dmi-cable-with-audio-support-10-ft3-m>

    Looking around local online retailers, I can't find any products other
    than this one, so it is possible that there are no others short of going
    to places like dealextreme which sell generic products.

    <http://dx.com/s/hdmi+mini+displayport>

    I did find Dick Smith sells their own "home brand" one, but it appears
    they are running out as they have none from their online store:

    <http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/XB1502/ds-mini-dp-to-hdmi-cable>

    Not much help for the US, but I expect if you search you can find
    something.
    If you want good selection and licensed HDMI products, yes.

    David Empson, Dec 29, 2012

  3. Ant

    Larry Gusaas Guest

    The Apple store (online) has Belkin Mini DisplayPort-to-HDTV Cables

    http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA343ZM/A/belkin-mini-displayport-to-hdtv-cable-2-meter?fnode=51

    http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...isplayport-to-hdtv-cable-4-meter?fnode=51&p=1

    --
    _________________________________

    Larry I. Gusaas
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
    Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

    Larry Gusaas, Dec 29, 2012
  4. Ant

    JF Mezei Guest

    DVI to HDMI adaptors are sufficient to get Itunes on a mac to play HD
    movies to that TV.

    On my MacPro, itunes will play an HD movie to my HDMI TV, but cannot
    play it on my NEC monotors because they are just DVI with no HDMI.

    ATI Radeon HD 5770:

    Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-3
    PCIe Lane Width: x4
    VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x68b8
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-C0160C-155
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436
    Displays:
    DENON-AVAMP:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Television: Yes
    Display Connector:

    the NEC displays do not have the "Television: Yes" line in the system
    profiler.

    The DVI to HDMI I got some time ago is branded "Moshi" with nothing else
    on it.

    JF Mezei, Dec 29, 2012
  5. Ant

    Suze Guest

    I use a minidisplay port to HDMI cable, however my macbook pro is a 2009
    model that does not do audio via HDMI so I output the audio separately
    to my stereo receiver. (works fine BTW)
    Find a cable on Amazon using this search term:
    Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cable, 6 feet

    Not sure exactly how old your MB Pro is.
    Audio output was added to the MacBook Pro on April 13, 2010. Previous
    models do not support audio output through the mini display port.
    You can check your MBPro here to see whether it supports audio output
    via HDMI:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241

    Suze, Dec 30, 2012
  6. Ant

    Ant Guest

    According to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4132 MBP (A1278; MD102ll/A)
    is from mid-2012. I will try
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...2&skuId=2343706&st=mini displayport&cp=1&lp=1
    since the local Best Buy store has it and supports audio. :)
    --
    "Stir up an ant's nest." --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Dec 30, 2012