    Can I install a 802.11g one?

    Thank in advance for all the replies

    Rocco

    Rocco, May 24, 2006

  2. Rocco

    Mike S. Guest

    Have heard of some Thinkpad models that are BIOS-locked to specific WiFi
    cards, but never anything with Toshiba.
    They physically fit, but the lengths of the internal antenna cables may be
    an issue. I have a Tecra model that I fitted a ZCOM card into. One of the
    antenna cables was too short, and the card would receive but not transmit
    successfully. I ended up jury-rigging a tiny extension cable (not for the
    faint of heart; try soldering onto a U.Fl socket) and it works to this day.
    Yes. Just ignore (or uninstall) the drivers and client manager software
    that may be pre-installed, and add the appropriate ones for the "g" card.

    Mike S., May 24, 2006

  3. Rocco

    Rocco Guest

    Thank you Mike!

    Rocco

    Rocco, May 24, 2006
  4. Rocco

    dlenski Guest

    I also am interested in adding a mini-PCI 802.11g card to my laptop (HP
    ze1230). It only has *one* miniPCI bay, which is currently occupied by
    the PC Card slot (which is screwed down to the mainboard, it seems).
    However it has an empty 3.5" drive bay right next to it... is there any
    way to "split" a mini-PCI slot into two so that I can use the empty
    space to add a wireless card?

    Thanks,

    Dan Lenski

    dlenski, May 24, 2006