    I saw some indication that a motorola bar code scanner might have used
    the connector for RS232 and used all the wires, but am not doing well
    on sourcing those cables.

    cs_posting, Jul 22, 2008

  2. cs_posting

    Don McKenzie Guest

    The most common 5 pin mini is the USB-AM to MINI-5P
    if you are talking about something like this, then there are only 4
    wires plus the shield at the USB-AM end.

    Or do you mean MINI-5P to MINI-5P?
    I think you may need to get them manufactured to suit.
    What quantity are you talking?

    Cheers Don...

    --
    Don McKenzie

    Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

    Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html

    Don McKenzie, Jul 23, 2008

  3. cs_posting

    cs_posting Guest

    Yes, and unfortunately the 4 wires connected in that cable are not the
    same four as got used on our PCB. USB usage skips the 4th pin in from
    the end and then uses the 5th. This is not a USB application, so it
    would probably need to be a cable intended for some other non-usb or
    more-than-usb custom application.
    Right now, a half dozen to cut the other end off of and use in the
    lab. Production quantities are somebody else's headache. It wasn't
    my idea in the first place.

    cs_posting, Jul 24, 2008
  4. cs_posting

    rickman Guest

    Why not use the available cable and white wire your proto boards? Are
    you trying to avoid a respin of the board?

    Rick

    rickman, Jul 24, 2008
  5. cs_posting

    langwadt Guest

    snip

    If I understand the problem isn't the easy fix as simple as adding a
    little solder to pin4 so that is shorts with pin5?

    -Lasse

    langwadt, Jul 24, 2008
  6. cs_posting

    cs_posting Guest

    And ungrounding pin 5...

    ....and cutting the overmold off the connector, threading some copper
    braid over the cable, and soldering it to the shell.

    cs_posting, Jul 24, 2008
  7. cs_posting

    langwadt Guest

    ok, I see what you mean :)

    how about just the connector and solder the cable yourself?
    e.g. H2955-ND from digikey

    -Lasse

    langwadt, Jul 25, 2008
  8. cs_posting

    cs_posting Guest

    May go with that at some point... except for the little "quantity
    available: 0"

    I think I'm glad this part of the problem isn't actually mine to deal
    with.

    cs_posting, Jul 25, 2008