    drive or two, etc. - nothing special)

    What would be the minumim PS needed to be reliable in this very basic
    system?

    Merrill P. L. Worthington, Oct 19, 2006

  2. Merrill P. L. Worthington

    Nate Edel Guest

    Should be fine on a 350 if you've only one each HD and optical drive. The
    Core 2 Duo is pretty power efficient, memory doesn't pull that much, and
    motherboard video pulls very little compared to discrete graphics.

    If you go with multiple hard drives, multiple optical drives, or might want
    to upgrade to a graphics card later, 400-450W would be better. I can't see
    much reason to go over 450, even overprovisioning for future expansion.

    Nate Edel, Oct 21, 2006

  3. Thanks. It might have two hard drives. But the case has an Antec 400
    watt PS built in so I should be OK.

    Merrill P. L. Worthington, Oct 21, 2006
  4. Merrill P. L. Worthington

    Nate Edel Guest

    I'd expect that to be fine. I'm running a much more power hungry CPU (P-D
    940, so older and slower but hotter), 3 HDs and two optical drives and a
    low-midrange GPU (Nvidia 7600GS) and it has been fine on an Antec 450W, rock
    stable even with a slight OC.

    Nate Edel, Oct 23, 2006