    it would run *slow* on my computer, or give me problems with my printer.

    Thanks in advance,

    Jean in VA

    Jean S. Barto, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Jean S. Barto

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Your problems with printing notwithstanding, most people find Panther to
    be substantially faster or more responsive than Jaguar on the same
    hardware. I expect Tiger to show similar improvements.

    Bev A. Kupf, Oct 3, 2004

  3. Jean S. Barto

    Chris Moore Guest

    I believe the system requirements are the same as 10.3. As for your
    printing problem you may have to do a custom install of Panther and
    select additional print drivers. My Epson 860 which was installed by
    default in Jaguar became an optional install in Panther.

    Chris Moore, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Jean S. Barto

    Snuggles Guest

    This might be just my experience but so far I've found that each upgrade
    has made my computer faster and more usable.

    Snuggles, Oct 3, 2004
  5. Jean S. Barto

    Mathue Guest

    Crosspost to comp.sys.mac.apps snipped.

    I'm sure Tiger will run without problem on the G4 iMac. The printer
    I don't know since it's getting on in years as printers go (released
    fall of 1999). Considering the cost on their current inkjet line, not
    to mention the resolution you might want to consider giving yourself a
    gift of a new printer for Christmas.

    Owners of old equiptment such as the Pismo Powerbook or possibly the
    original CRT imac _might_ be on the edge but that's
    only speculation on my part.

    Mathue, Oct 3, 2004
  6. I believe the system requirements are the same as 10.3.[/QUOTE]

    The system requirements for the developer preview are known to be
    somewhat stricter than that for 10.3. Not much, but a bit.

    Gregory Weston, Oct 3, 2004
  7. Jean S. Barto

    Chris Moore Guest

    The system requirements for the developer preview are known to be
    somewhat stricter than that for 10.3. Not much, but a bit.[/QUOTE]

    Will it run on my 400MHz B/W G3? I think that's just one step up from
    the Beige G3's that got hacked off with Panther. When they first
    announced Tiger I went looking to see if it would be supported but
    didn't find anything that said it wouldn't (or was for sure).

    Chris Moore, Oct 3, 2004
  8. Most likely. As far as I have understood it will support all Macs with
    built-in FireWire, and no others.

    Anders Eklöf, Oct 3, 2004
  9. Jean S. Barto

    David C. Guest

    The actual system requirements for Tiger have yet to be announced.

    The developer preview's requirements are very similar to those of
    10.3. The only significant change is that it only supports those
    Macs that have built-in FireWire (10.3 supports only those with
    built-in USB).

    The systems that are supported by 10.3 and not by the 10.4 developer
    preview are:
    - Tray-loading iMacs (Bondi and five-flavors)
    - First-generation iBook
    - "Lombard" PowerBook G3 (bronze keyboard)

    Your system should run it fine. Whether it will run faster or slower
    is, of course, unknown at this time. So far, each successive release
    of OS X (from 10.0 to 10.3) has run faster, but I'm not going to make
    any claims about how long this trend will continue.

    Your video chip is a GeForce2 MX. It won't support all of the
    features of CoreImage/CoreVideo, but the features that you can't run
    on the video chip will be emulated by software. The result should be
    no worse than how equivalent apps perform today.
    This sounds like updated drives from HP may be needed. You may want
    to visit their web site and see if they have an update that Apple has
    not yet bundled.

    FWIW, my HP 842C printer hasn't had any real problems with MacOS 10.3.
    Historically, OS X updates have run faster than their predecessors.

    Your printer problems have nothing to do with OS X and everything to
    do with the driver.

    Apple doesn't write the HP printer drivers. They simply bundle the
    drivers that HP gives them. When HP releases updates, Apple usually
    bundles them with future system software releases or downloadable
    system updates. If Apple hasn't updated their distribution, you can
    download them directly from HP.

    -- David

    David C., Oct 3, 2004
  10. Jean S. Barto

    David C. Guest

    The developer release is supposed to work on any system with built-in
    FireWire, which includes the B&W G3.

    Of course, having enough memory will be critical, just like it has
    been with prior releases.

    You won't be able to reap the full benefits of CoreImage/CoreVideo
    without a suitably advanced video card. The Rage-128 card that comes
    with the B&W is not suitably advanced. (I'm told that you can get a
    PC-based Radeon 9700 card, which should support most of these
    featurs, if not all of them.)

    Note that you'll still be able to run CoreImage/CoreVideo apps. The
    system will emulate whatever the video card can't directly implements.
    It will be slow, but it will work, and probably no worse than today,
    where applications have to implement all of the effects.

    -- David

    David C., Oct 3, 2004
  11. Jean S. Barto

    David C. Guest

    That's the requirements for the developer preview. It is likely (but
    not guaranteeed) that the released system will have the same
    requirements.

    -- David

    David C., Oct 3, 2004
  12. Jean S. Barto

    stan Guest

    Try posting your question after Tiger is available to the public.
    That should be in about six months, but a delay is not out of the
    question. For now, the only people who have an informed opinion on
    Apple's new OS are likely not allowed to discuss it in public.

    stan, Oct 3, 2004
  13. Jean S. Barto

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    What about the slot-loading iMac-350 Mhz? As far as I know that
    doesn't have firewire either.

    Bev A. Kupf, Oct 4, 2004
  14. Jean S. Barto

    Sean McBride Guest

    Darn, that excludes some of the earliest iMacs :(

    Sean McBride, Oct 4, 2004
  15. Jean S. Barto

    David C. Guest

    That would be correct. The tray-loading models (bondi-blue and
    five-flavors) don't have FireWire.

    -- David

    David C., Oct 4, 2004
  16. Jean S. Barto

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Also, I think, the slot-loading iMac-350 ....

    Bev A. Kupf, Oct 4, 2004
  17. Jean S. Barto

    Sean McBride Guest

    My slot-loading iMac doesn't have FW either. :(

    Sean McBride, Oct 4, 2004
  18. Jean S. Barto

    John Brock Guest

    Is it FireWire itself that matters, or is that just a convenient
    marker for families of systems? The iMac 350 and the iMac DV 400
    (which has FireWire) are very similar machines, and I'd be a little
    bit surprised if Tiger ran one one and not the other.

    John Brock, Oct 4, 2004
  19. My slot-loading iMac doesn't have FW either. :([/QUOTE]

    Are you sure? I have a first-generation slot-loading iMac DV, and it
    has Firewire.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 5, 2004
  20. Also, I think, the slot-loading iMac-350 ....[/QUOTE]

    Oh, my 400 GHz slot loader isn't first generation?

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 5, 2004